Beginning OpenGL programming in Windows

Hello all.

I am trying to get my development environment (VC++ 2008 express edition) set up to begin programming in OpenGL.

I am running Vista on a brand new laptop and have the environment installed fine.

I however, cannot find the Opengl32.lib or the Glu32.lib files anywhere on the system. I find the DLLs fine but it is my understanding I need to be able to link the libraries to my project.

I have searched everywhere on this site and others to try and find a simple download of the libraries and header files and it blows my mind how unaccessible it is.

I found an OpenGL95.exe on MSDN but it says if youre using a windows system beyond 95 that it comes with the libraries and you dont need it.

Are the header and library files on my machine? A search comes up empty and all i find are the dlls.

It is extremely frustrating how little information there is on how to set up OpenGL and begin using it. And yes I have read the getting started Wiki on this page. It pretty much says ‘figure it out’

Help? :slight_smile:

they say here that opengl development files should come with VC++. Are you sure they are not in your intallation directory?

On my VS2k5, they’re in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\PlatformSDK\Lib

Maybe you don’t have installed PlatformSDK ?
As a temporary quick solution, I’ve uploaded them to
87.120.149.12/temp/OpenGL_GLU.7z

Yeah I did indeed read that. I searched every folder inside the installation and windows system directories manually and only found the dlls. 3 or 4 sweeps!

Im using VS2k8 Express Edition, so this may be the reason? Yeah i looked in every directory multiple times and no go.

Thank you for uploading that!

I was told by a friend that installing the windows developer SDK package(is that the Platform SDK you reference?) should provide these files so I may try that. Otherwise I will download that file when i get home tonight.

Thanks again for the replies!

The PlatformSDK is a-must for windows development. Now I remember someone saying long ago that it isn’t included in VS express versions. You’ll need to set the IDE “directories” paths.

Well at the following link

http://www.microsoft.com/express/support/faq/

Question 30 says that the SDK IS included with the 2008 Express Installation.

I am going to run the install again and see if I missed a component.

I’ll feel pretty stupid but ill post back if I did or didnt to hopefully save someone else the hassel.

It is included with these new 2008 versions.

Thats so strange. I went back and re-ran the installation. NONE of the optional components were the SDK and there was not an SDK installed when i originally put it on.

I downloaded the windows development SDK and installed it, so i have the library now.

Can you tell me where in your directory this was put?

You may also want to download glext.h & wglext.h

http://www.opengl.org/registry/

as to the location of gl.h etc, look in the SDK folder under Include/gl/

just for information, looking for “integrate glut in Borland C++ builder”, I have found all files you needed to programming with opengl and glut here :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.