PBO performances & compressed textures

Hi,

I have some strange performance results when I use PBO. I’m on a nVidia 9800 gtx. I’ve found a way to get faster result with the PBO, but I don’t understand why it is faster.

Here is the fastest way :

glTexImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, a_nLevel, nInternalFormat, a_nUDim, a_nVDim, bordersize, nExternalFormat, nType, NULL );

glBindBuffer( GL_PIXEL_UNPACK_BUFFER_ARB, unBuf );
glBufferData( GL_PIXEL_UNPACK_BUFFER_ARB, nSize, NULL, GL_STREAM_DRAW );

void* ioMem = glMapBuffer(GL_PIXEL_UNPACK_BUFFER_ARB, GL_WRITE_ONLY );
memcpy( ioMem, a_pData, nSize );
glUnmapBuffer(GL_PIXEL_UNPACK_BUFFER_ARB);

glTexSubImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D,	a_nLevel, 0, 0,	a_nUDim, a_nVDim, nExternalFormat, nType, NULL );

glBindBuffer( GL_PIXEL_UNPACK_BUFFER_ARB, 0 );

But if I use that code, it is like 2 time slower:

void* ioMem = glMapBuffer(GL_PIXEL_UNPACK_BUFFER_ARB, GL_WRITE_ONLY );

glTexImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, a_nLevel, nInternalFormat, a_nUDim, a_nVDim, bordersize, nExternalFormat, nType, NULL );

I do not see why it is slower. It look if the surface allocation is slower when a pbo is binded…

That cause a problem with the compressed texture since I cannot call glCompressedTeximage2D with a NULL pointer for data.

So if I use:

void* ioMem = glMapBuffer( GL_PIXEL_UNPACK_BUFFER_ARB, GL_WRITE_ONLY );

glCompressedTexImage2DARB( GL_TEXTURE_2D, a_nLevel, internalformat, a_nUDim, a_nVDim, bordersize, nSize, NULL );

it is way slower then using:

glCompressedTexImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, a_nLevel,internalformal, a_nUDim,a_nVDim,bodersize, nSize, a_pData );

It is really strange to have such result. It’s look like if I will not be able to use pbo with compressed texture, since the performance are really slower…

Thanks in advance,

J-P

Your point isn’t very clear, but the solution to your problem is to use glTexImage2D with a NULL pointer to pre-allocate your GPU textures (even if the internal format is a compressed texture format). That resolves your main question listed above.

Also, you seem unclear about the difference between allocating a GPU texture, and copying data into an existing texture. glTexImage*/glCompressedTexImage* allocates a GPU texture, possibility filling it with texel data if you provide a non-NULL pixels pointer (you have to provide a non-NULL pointer for glCompressedTexImage*). By contrast, glTexSubImage*/glCompressedTexSubImage* copies data into an existing GPU texture.

So allocate once, then just copy.

You’re right, I’ve try glTexImage2D with a NULL pointer and with an internal format compressed, and it is really faster.

Thanks for the anwser!

So did you finally mix glTexImage2D with glCompressedSubImage? I read that this might be slow on several gpus.

Best Regards,
Manuel

Yes, I have mix it. It looks like if it is the only way to sub load a compressed texture…

Do I guess right, you’re using an NVidia GPU? I have tried this on different GPUs causing trouble on several ATI cards.

Regards,
Manu

PS: could you post the final code snippet of this mixture? Might be I am mssing something. Thanks.

Yes. Post your snippet and we’ll check for errors.

For the code of mix, it is the same but instead of:
glCompressedTexImage2DARB( GL_TEXTURE_2D, a_nLevel, internalformat, a_nUDim, a_nVDim, bordersize, nSize, NULL );

I call:

blechhirn, ATI driver with opengl seems really crapy, good luck!!!

Hrm. Second call looks good to me. Try an NVidia card?

I use a nvidia…

In the specs it says : "Undefined results, including abnormal program termination, are generated if data is not encoded in a manner consistent with the extension specification defining the internal compression format. "

That could explain why glCompressedTexImage2D crash with NULL, but it should work…

Related: link.