Framebuffer object, multisampling and floats

Hi,
I’m currently implementing anti aliasing in some legacy code. I render to a FBO with GL_RGBA16F_ARB as the internal format.

Background

To the FBO I attach 2 render buffers, one for color and one for depth. Both of these use glRenderbufferStorageMultisampleEXT(GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, numSamples, internalFormat, pixelsWide, pixelsHigh );
Where internal format for the depth is GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT24 instead of GL_RGBA16F_ARB.
All buffers are of the same dimensions, NPOT. GL_TEXTURE_2D is the target for the texture.

The FBO is blitted to a single sampled FBO that uses a texture for the color rendering. This texture is a regular RGBA8.
this Texture is then saved to file using DevIL.

The issues

I don’t get ANY Anti aliasing unless numSamples is 16.
glRenderbufferStorageMultisampleEXT(GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT,16, internalFormat, pixelsWide, pixelsHigh );
I find this extremely weird and I really don’t get it.

Another issue is that the blit fail if I have a buffers width and height that are approaching 2k. I guess that is a memmory issue but I’m not really sure on how to debug this.

Environment

I use the latest GLEW to handle the extensions and a Nvidia 8600GT as hardware. The OS is Vista. Quite new drivers (a few weeks) CPU is Quad Core Intel.

Hoping for help in these dark times :wink:
/F

Do you call glEnable(GL_MULTISAMPLE_ARB) before rendering?

Thanks for your reply!
No I don’t call glEnable(GL_MULTISAMPLE_ARB) . I thought that was only needed when rendering MS to the regular framebuffer, not offscreen render targets.

I have written a small test app where I render to an FBO with the above mentioned renderbuffers. It works fine for all levels of anti aliasing, both with regular RGBA8 as well as RGBA16F. It only differs in that it uses TEXTURE_RECT for the final fbo texture in order to circumvent the truncations issues for floats when using shaders. This code doesn’t use glEnable(GL_MULTISAMPLE_ARB) either.

All this obviously points in the direction that this is not an issue with the actual code but rather some issue with the legacy rendering pipeline… Guess I’ll have to dig deeper in this mess…