glMaterial and OpenGL Spec...

Hi,
we had some problems with a quite simple application rendering a series of GL_TRIANGLES. They all were called within one glBegin/glEnd block. glMaterial was used to change some properties. However, some triangles started to dissappear after changing the same glMaterial properties a second time within that glBegin/glEnd block.

The openGL spec says the following, so I am a little bit concerned about the correctness of the forceware drivers we used:

The material parameters can be updated at any time. In particular, glMaterial can be called between a call to glBegin and the corresponding call to glEnd. If only a single material parameter is to be changed per vertex, however, glColorMaterial is preferred over glMaterial (see glColorMaterial).

Did I understand something wrong here? Actually it doesn’t say anything about chaning the properties multiple times, but IMHO The material parameters can be updated at any time. means I can change it whenever I want…

Hi,

Can you post some code to see if you use correctly the gl material associated functions…

glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES);
   glMaterialf(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK, GL_SHININESS, 8.000000 );
   glNormal3d( 0.000000, 0.000000, -1.000000 );
   glTexCoord2f( 0.531250, 0.132813 );
   glVertex3d( 8.450000, 2.545000, -3.955000 );
   .... a long list of normals, texcoords and vertices....
   glMaterialf(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK, GL_SHININESS, 32.000000 );
   glNormal3d( 0.000000, 1.000000, -0.000000 );
   glTexCoord2f( 0.031250, 0.005859 );
   glVertex3d( 8.450000, 2.122500, -3.955000 );
   .... another long list of normals, texcoords and vertices....
glEnd();  

no glError was thrown…

If some triangles start to disappear that sounds like a driver bug.
The spec you cite is only right about the fixed function pipeline. glMaterial inside begin-end while shaders are active may not update the material until the glEnd. => Avoid glMaterial in begin-end, it’s evil. :wink:

You’re rendering independent triangles and say you have a lot of them. If the material change only affects whole triangles you better split the primitives and move the glMaterial calls outside the begin-end.

Other performance tips would be:

• Do not use double typed OpenGL API entry points.
  • Avoid immediate mode alltogether.

Something like this should work and be faster

glMaterialf(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK, GL_SHININESS, 8.0f );
glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES);
   glNormal3f( 0.0f, 0.0f, -1.0f );
   glTexCoord2f( 0.531250f, 0.132813f );
   glVertex3f( 8.45f, 2.545f, -3.955f );
   .... a long list of normals, texcoords and vertices....
glEnd();  
glMaterialf(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK, GL_SHININESS, 32.0f );
glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES);
   glNormal3f( 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f );
   glTexCoord2f( 0.03125f, 0.005859f );
   glVertex3f( 8.45f, 2.1225f, -3.955f );
   .... another long list of normals, texcoords and vertices....
glEnd();  

Thanks for the reply. Actually we id what you suggested (move it outside glBegin/glEnd) and we already changed the code to Vertex Arrays now (much faster without any bugs! =).

So its just good to know that it seems to be a driver bug. We do NOT use any shaders for that code - so the spec should allow us to do it the way we did… Well maybe some NVIDIA guy reads this…:wink:

Well, reading your post doesn’t mean anyone will be able to reproduce this. :stuck_out_tongue:
You need to provide at least informations about OS, graphics hardware, driver version(!) plus a reproducer application.
No repro, no fix.

ok, I used three different machines - two with Geforce Cards, one laptop with an old driver (don’t care about this) and a new PC with quite a new driver (AMD Athlon X2 4200, 2 GB Ram, Win XP Professional 32bit SP2, Forceware 169.21, Geforce 7900 GT) and we could reproduce the problem on both devices.

However, the third one was a quadro machine (Intel Core 2 Duo, 1.8 GHz, 2 GB Ram, Win XP Professional 32bit SP2, Forceware 169.47, Quadro FX1500) and here everything was working correctly.

here is the link to a small (dirty) test app:

http://gonzo.uni-weimar.de/~tonn/openglbug/OpenGLBug.rar

by pressing the “space” button, some triangles should disappear,
see these 2 screenshots:

http://gonzo.uni-weimar.de/~tonn/openglbug/bug_with_missing_triangles.jpg
http://gonzo.uni-weimar.de/~tonn/openglbug/how_it_should_look_like_using_extra_glBegins.jpg

I hope that will make the problem a little bit clearer.

Was anyone able to reproduce the prolbem?

Well nothing happens when I press space it always looks like
http://stuff.benjamin-thaut.de/debug.jpg

gf8800 GTX 169.21 drivers
Win XP

oops, sorry, please recompile or start in the executable in the debug folder.

Ok, then I can confirm the bug.

Ok, I can confirm the bug on my machine too!
GeForce 7950GX2
Cheers Tobias

@Relic:

could you reproduce the error? The code is extracted from a huge project, so it doesn’t look nice, but it should not contain any serious errors.