glxShareLists two separate displays, same card

I’m trying to share lists between two contexts. I have seen some references to glxShareLists, but I haven’t found any examples and I haven’t found it in my openGL headers.

I have found this, however:

GLXContext glXCreateContext( Display *dpy,
			       XVisualInfo *vis,
			       GLXContext shareList,
			       Bool direct )

Is this the correct / only way to share lists between two contexts?

I have been able to make this work when the two contexts live on the same display (e.g. both on :0.1) but when they live on two different displays (e.g. :0.0 and :0.1) sharing doesn’t seem to work. The second glXCreateContext call fails:

Error: glXCreateContext failed.
X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request: 143 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
Serial number of failed request: 24
Current serial number in output stream: 1220

Note that both displays are on the same physical graphics card.

It seems like I should be able to do this (I sure want to) – both contexts are on the same card, created in the same process, etc. Am I out of luck? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

-Steve

I think it’s because the CreateContext and all opengl calls go through GLX, and they need a Display* connection. And you can’t share contexts with different displays. (it would be like sharing Displays with different processes.) My suggestion is to use twinview or something and use the same Display *.

I always had a bit of confusion with threading and opengl. Do you need to LockDisplay when you MakeCurrentContext? If so, what’s the point of multiple contexts?

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.