Shader Designer - what do you expect?

Hi all.
I have written an OpenGL HLSL Designer. At the moment, it works just fine, and I am shortly before a first Release.

A picture of its current state:
http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=designeruq6.jpg

Current Features so far:

• Completly written in wxWidgets 2.8.6
  • Syntax-Highlighting through wxStyledTextCtrl
  • Shaders are stored in simple XML-Format.
  • Render-Plugins, which can draw their scenes directly.
  • File-Format Plugins (Import/Export) - work in Progress
  • The IDE shows you all Errors during Compilation.

Planned or in Progress:

• Mesh Loader is not yet done.
  • Mesh Plugin-Interface is not yet done.
  • Direct Manipulation of Values during Rendering.
  • Simple Encryption, to prevent the avg. Player from stealing your code.

So heres my Question:
What Features do you miss? Is there anything I forgot to make this Tool more than usable in a Programmers Environment?

Please note:
It does not aim towards professionals. It aims to the avg. Hobby-Programmer. For thus, its made under the terms of GNU GPL V3. and I have written this Application some Time ago, then I freezed it due to missing Time. Now I’ve reworked some parts and it still looks quite promising. I want to get it ready for the people.
So far. :slight_smile:

There is already one called Shader Designer and it’s free.
Also, there is Rendermonkey from AMD/ATI and FXcomposer from nVidia and several others who’s name escape me.
You don’t like those or what?

Don’t listen V-man DieseIGL, he is just jealous. So, where is the source code?

Who said anything about source code?

All we have so far is a screenshot, a rough outline of features, and a note indicating a desire to make it available to the masses.

Btw, V-man was simply pointing out that there are already a few good Editors out there, so if he’s doing another he best be prepared to bring something new to the table if there’s to be any interest generated… :slight_smile:

Well, as TyphoonLabs Company has ceased its activities, Shader Designer is still accessible but you would not count on it …
Also I am not aware of any opensource cross-platform GLSL designer, it would be “something new”.

Actually, the is Lumina : http://lumina.sourceforge.net/
No idea what is it worth, though.

To be honest I just use notepad, so I’m probably not the best person to comment on such things.

You are devloping under GPL3 right?. It does not imply source code sharing?

What I meant was he doesn’t seem to be anywhere near the source code giveaway stage yet… still in the R&D phase.

Could be wrong though… :slight_smile:

Perhaps the world’s big enough for another shader editor. I’ve no objection to it personally.

I’d like one you can talk to, hands-free shader creation… look Ma, no hands! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.