else
{
// convolution to texture_1 & texture_0

color =…
}
gl_FragColor = color;
}

It works OK.
the interesting thing is: the performance is decreased a lot( at least half) with above if /else branch. following are my testing results (for else part):

1. comment out the code in if branch( just have color = vec4(1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0)
    the performance is improved

2. separate the if /else into two functions, then call these two function in main() like "
    void main(void)
    {
    vec4 color = vec4(0.0);
    if(A)
    color = caltexture_0(texture_0);
    else
    color = caltexture_1(texture_1);
    gl_FragColor = color;
    }
    "
    the performance is improved too.

3. separate the if/else into two shaders. the performance is improved even better.

this only happens for complicated convolution, for simple convolution, there are no noticeable difference between above testing.

------------------thought it is related to the compiler ( I am working on linux, NV Quadro graphic card)-------------- anybody has a proven explanation for it?

many many thanks

Many cards don’t support real dynamic branches in fragment shaders. They usualy execute the whole code (so the ‘then’ and the ‘else’ part) and choose the result with a conditional write.

Still, I am puzzled that your 2) option provides better performance. Are you sure that functions perform the same calculations as the above if() … else code?

thanks.
how they choose the result with a conditional write?
works like"
void main(void)
{
vec4 color0 = vec4(0.0);
vec4 color1 = vec4(0.0);
color0 = //convolution…calculation
color1 = //convolution…calculation
if(A)
gl_FragColor = color0;
else
gl_FragColor = color1:
}
(how to check my card works in that way?)

for option 2, I am pretty sure it performs the same calculations.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.