PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL Discussion boards upgraded

Khronos_webmaster
10-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi all,

After a few foibles, we have the OpenGL Community Discussion boards upgraded and running smoothly. If any sees anything out of sorts, or has questions or suggestions on improving the boards further, please let us know.

Enjoy!

Khronos_webmaster
10-29-2007, 07:52 AM
I have tweaked a few things from comments made. The most notable are the forums are now full screen width. If you don't see it, force refresh your cache a few times please.

The menus at the top are causing problems for some people and we will be updating those shortly too. Keep the comments and suggestions coming. Thanks.

Brolingstanz
10-29-2007, 01:53 PM
There it is :-)

ZbuffeR
10-30-2007, 02:39 AM
A small annoyance : the full reply form only show the post selected for reply/quickreply, not the whole conversation.
For me forum discussions are better flat than hierarchical (as one can edit/deleted redundant posts, contrary to newsgroups/email).

So now I will have to hit the big "new reply" on top of the discussion...
Is there a way to put it at the bottom, too ?

Overmind
10-30-2007, 03:24 AM
Ok, I've been clicking around some more ;)

My previous issue that the new posts are not shown inside the forum seems fixed, but now I have the opposite problem ;)

In the forum overview I see which forums have new posts. Let's say the beginner forum has new posts, I see the yellow icon and the red numbers.

Now I click on the beginners forum. Inside, I see several threads with new posts. I don't read all of them at this time (or read none at all, doesn't matter), and go back to the forum overview. Then it looks like there are no new posts in the beginner forum (gray icon, no red numbers).

If I go back inside the beginner forum, the unread posts are still displayed, it's just the overview that doesn't display this information.

Anyway, it's not very important, just a minor display bug. At least it remembers my unread posts correctly, which is a huge improvement over the old forums :)

ZbuffeR
10-30-2007, 03:52 AM
Overmind, I almost exclusively use the "Active topics", so I bypass any sort of problem with read/unread markers :)

Khronos_webmaster
10-30-2007, 05:39 AM
When doing quick reply for a post, you can click on the 'Switch to Full Reply Screen' to see what you need. Same as clicking New Reply I believe. I agree though that having only the last post appear is a bit annoying.

This would be a more significant change in the system, so not sure we will see a solution anytime soon, but I will put in a word to have this improved upon.

ZbuffeR
10-30-2007, 05:53 AM
Well it does not help.
This is not of utmost importance, but an extra button "switch to Full New Reply Screen" would be great :)

ZbuffeR
10-30-2007, 06:33 AM
As someone mentioned it elsewhere, apparently the user ranking system is gone ?
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=229361#Post229361

All those years to get 5 stars and .. puff nothing :D

Khronos_webmaster
10-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Yes, I looked into the upgrade and apparently the company didn't import, or couldn't import the user ratings. This upgrade from UBB.threads has been far from smooth, so on their behalf, I send you apologies :-(

Currently waiting to see if they can still get the ratings back.

Zengar
10-30-2007, 08:55 AM
One more thing: is it possible to change the sidebar so it will scroll with the view? I think it would be more usefull if visible all of the time.

ZbuffeR
10-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Some people like me don't like such scrolling sidebars.
What do you find useful in it ? Online people ?

Khronos_webmaster
10-30-2007, 10:39 AM
The sidebar cannot scroll with the view. I find the sidebar a bit space wasting, but that is the only position for that info at this time. I am going to move it all to the footer once I get a little more time. Bit swamped at the moment.

Zengar
10-31-2007, 01:23 AM
Well, sidebar takes space, and when a page is reasonably long the white gap on the right becomes slightly annoying. But I won't be sad if you remove the sidebar alltogether :)

Brolingstanz
10-31-2007, 04:59 AM
I wouldn't miss the sidebar either.

Wouldn't miss the titles or the ratings now that you mention it; they only antagonize the real newbies... (heheh).

Khronos_webmaster
10-31-2007, 05:18 AM
Heard back from ubb.threads. They were never able to get the import of the ratings to work in the upgrades. So Hasta La Vista old ratings. They are easily turned off if people prefer not to see them.

The titles like the post count for the member is a bit useful, as it shows newbies, (and me :) ) who has more experience around here. The titles I adjusted a but yesterday, and newbies don't stay newbiese very long.

A question for the forums now. Someone emailed me yesterday pointing out there is no space in profile for a jabber IM account. Is that a truly useful feature? If so I believe we can stuff one in there somewhere.

Jan
10-31-2007, 06:09 AM
When i choose this forum from the forum-overview, i cannot post a reply to this thread or the other thread of the moderator (the OpengL 3 update). The "New Reply"-button is not displayed.

The weird thing is, when i enter the thread through the OpenGL main-page or through some other link (as i did with this thread now), the button is displayed.

Hope that will be resolved soon.

Jan.

Jan
10-31-2007, 08:06 AM
Ok, it seems as if i am sometimes logged in and sometimes logged out. If i jump to a thread through a direct link, i am usually logged in, so that i can post, but if i select a forum manually, i am sometimes logged out, so that i cannot post.

The question is, why should i be sometimes logged in and sometimes logged out, although this all happens inside the same browser (different tabs) and i never manually log out. A bit weird.

Jan.

Brolingstanz
10-31-2007, 01:36 PM
While we're on the nickle and dime stuff, codeing is misspelled in the M&A forum..

Khronos_webmaster
10-31-2007, 06:38 PM
coding is as it should be now. Thanks Modus. Jan, is it possible there is a cache issue on certain pages. Next time you know you are logged in and you end up on a page that says you are logged out. Try force refreshing that page. Thanks. If any one else experiences that issue let me know. I haven't seen it.

Thanks everyone for the continue suggests etc, I think we are getting pretty close to a working forums now ;-)

gdewan
11-01-2007, 07:25 AM
I am getting an error that doesn't appear to effect anything. On the main index, it says "Error on page" at the bottom, and when I click on it for more information, I get the following (copied by hand since it wouldn't let me copy & paste, may be typo's):

Line: 180
Char: 2
Error: 'document.getElementByID(...)' is null or not an object
Code: 0
URL: htp://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

Brolingstanz
11-02-2007, 12:21 AM
Definitely an IE thing.

Don't see it in Firefox, but the menus up top won't close when I click away... ;-)

ZbuffeR
11-05-2007, 04:22 AM
Firefox : For the top menus, I have to point the mouse on the above OpenGL banner to make them close.

When working behind a NAT, I had the same message as the one mentionned at the end of this post, "the host from which you are accessing the board is not recognized as a valid host." :
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=229734#Post229734

Something about missing the referer forwarding ? What is the actual problem ? Can it be fixed on th boards, or on my local machines ?

Khronos_webmaster
11-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Hi all,

Working on replacing the menus. Hopefully this week. Just that time issue thing that keeps getting in the way :-) We know the issue though and have a solution!

Khronos_webmaster
11-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Hi all,

I have updated the menus on the main site and on the forums. Tested on Windows and Mac on various browsers (Safari, FF(win), FF(mac), IE6, IE7) and all seems spiffy here.

Jan
11-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Seems to work perfectly. Only the colors need a bit tweaking, in my opinion, to fit better with the rest of the design.

Jan.

Brolingstanz
11-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Agreed. All is lovely here, but could sure use a splash of cyan blue. :-)

Khronos_webmaster
11-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Which could use the cyan blue? The forums or the menus. The menus are pretty close to what was there before. The forums are a wee bit on the reddish blue side yes.

ZbuffeR
11-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Nice :)

About the colors, well, I think they are ok.

Maybe the drop down menu have a color that fits well on the homepage, and a bit less well around the forums. Anyway I don't think it matters so much.

Jan
11-07-2007, 01:57 PM
I meant the menus. I like the colors of the new forum very much. The old menu had similar colors, which were great, too. The new menu has a bit of a different color tone (don't know how to express that), i think it should be a darker blue (now it is more a turquoise).

Jan.

Brolingstanz
11-07-2007, 02:26 PM
I had a hankering for more of a blue-cyan forum like the menus and the rest of the site. I really dig the colors alone too but the 2 slightly different blues together are wigging me out a little...

Brolingstanz
11-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Is it me or are the menus broken in IE7 now?

Jan
11-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Am i the only one who wonders, why there are half as many registered members as there are topics?

So on average every member has created two topics.

Though deleting inactive members might become quite a difficult task (define "inactive"...).

Jan.

Hampel
11-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Can the quotes and code boxes be enlarged, please?

Brolingstanz
11-08-2007, 02:34 AM
Aye, that would be heartily appreciated.

Korval
11-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Can the quotes and code boxes be enlarged, please?

Agreed. The scrolling is great, but having it be a decent size to begin with would make it even better.

Simon Arbon
11-12-2007, 05:55 PM
1. The Time-zone offset edit box on the "My Preferences" page only allows 3 characters to be entered.
South Australia has a weird half-hour time zone so i need to enter 16.5, but i cant.

2. The "Max Online" date in the Forum Stats in the right colomb is always listed in a strange month-first format instead of the format selected in "My Preferences".

sqrt[-1]
11-15-2007, 06:07 AM
Minor nitpick, in the search page it selects "Date Range" by default of 1 week.

It took me a while to figure out why I was not getting any results.

Perhaps a better default would be the "blank" selection for all "Date Range" boxes.

Leadwerks
11-18-2007, 03:30 AM
I can't see the new forums very well. The colors do not have enough contrast to be clearly visible.

The default search options only searches within the last week. It is very annoying to have to switch it every time I search for something.

sqrt[-1]
11-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Some more minor nitpicks:

When viewing the OpenGL man pages the menus are displayed under the page: (using firefox)

http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/

Also, there is a bug in the man page on glBlendColor,
http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/xhtml/glBlendColor.xml

This feature was made core in OpenGL 1.4 - but Thre manpages states:

"glBlendColor is part of the ARB_imaging subset. glBlendColor is present only if ARB_imaging is returned when glGetString is called with GL_EXTENSIONS as its argument."

ZbuffeR
11-23-2007, 05:19 PM
About the man pages, the top part with menus should not even be there, it is not realy useful and take a lot of space.

davej
11-24-2007, 06:16 AM
I can't see the new forums very well. The colors do not have enough contrast to be clearly visible.

I also find this. Not all of us have perfect eyesight.

elFarto
11-24-2007, 10:28 AM

I also find this. Not all of us have perfect eyesight.

There's a dark theme if you go to My Stuff -> My Preferences.

Regards
elFarto

Leadwerks
12-07-2007, 10:33 PM
My eyesight is fine. It's the light-gray on baby-blue color theme that is the problem.

Brolingstanz
12-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Actually I think it's more of a Periwinkle, or maybe a cross of Periwinkle and Chineese blue.

Say, the dark theme is pretty slick.

santyhamer
01-18-2008, 11:26 AM
I prefrred the old forums's theme hehe

Brolingstanz
01-20-2008, 04:07 AM
I miss the orange crush too... <sniff>

Leadwerks
01-23-2008, 03:51 PM
For a few hours each day, I am unable to post to the forum, because I get this message:

UBB Error
The host from which you are accessing the board is not recognized as a valid host. This is more than likely related to a firewall issue that is blocking the referer variable. Check your firewall settings and try again.

Please click back to return to the previous page.
Disabling my firewall had no effect. I just have to wait a few hours, and then it starts working again.

ZbuffeR
01-23-2008, 04:12 PM
For a few hours each day, I am unable to post to the forum, because I get this message:

UBB Error
The host from which you are accessing the board is not recognized as a valid host. This is more than likely related to a firewall issue that is blocking the referer variable. Check your firewall settings and try again.

Please click back to return to the previous page.
Disabling my firewall had no effect. I just have to wait a few hours, and then it starts working again.

I had this message spuriously too.
But do have it each time I use my second PC, which is behind a NAT (basic windows internet sharing). No idea how to fix it however. Is there any way to relax a bot this constraint ? Or is it in place for a good reason ? Any clues about how to fix it on our side ?

Khronos_webmaster
01-28-2008, 07:53 AM
Hello,

We do not implement any firewall that would block you from accessing the forums. We do have our set firewalls and a brute force trigger that will block your IP address if you attempt excessive logins with the wrong credentials. This will usually only trigger if you are using a script to attempt brute force access to our services though.

Seth Hoffert
01-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Be sure that you are posting from http://www.opengl.org/ and not http://opengl.org/ . I had this problem once too.

Leadwerks
01-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Be sure that you are posting from http://www.opengl.org/ and not http://opengl.org/ . I had this problem once too.
That fixed it. The webmaster should look into this. Not everyone will possess my patience and/or desperation.

Khronos_webmaster
01-31-2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks Leadwerks and Hexcat. I have put a redirect in for those that sit on just opengl.org and not http://www.opengl.org. For the forums only. Hopefully this will prevent further issues with this.

Khronos_webmaster
01-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Little update on the stylesheet for the opengl forums. The old original ocre style sheet is once again available. The light blue theme has been updated to be more contrasty, and a new style called frosty has been added.

As usual, let me know what you think of it all.

Seth Hoffert
01-31-2008, 11:19 AM
I really like the new stylesheets! It looks really nice.

Hampel
02-01-2008, 01:18 AM
I like the new frosty style... :-)

Brolingstanz
02-02-2008, 01:28 AM
I think I'm partial to old frosty too, but they're all nice!

sylware
03-12-2008, 01:13 AM
A question for the forums now. Someone emailed me yesterday pointing out there is no space in profile for a jabber IM account. Is that a truly useful feature? If so I believe we can stuff one in there somewhere.
YES! JABBER/XMPP :D

Khronos_webmaster
03-31-2009, 08:45 AM
Please note that users can now turn off the right hand column in their Preferences settings under My Stuff.

Khronos_webmaster
05-20-2009, 07:06 AM
To Posters sidebar box now reflects only posters that have been active in the past 30 days.

Jan
05-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Woohooo, Top 5 now !!

bsder
06-25-2009, 12:50 PM
The error appears to be related to Firefox somehow. If I post from Safari, things work. Quit being clever. I use security plugins on Firefox for a reason, and, somehow, no other BB (and I assure you that I use a lot of them) has an issue.

I got this error today:

"The host from which you are accessing the board is not recognized as a valid host. This is more than likely related to a firewall issue that is blocking the referer variable. Check your firewall settings and try again."

Will somebody please turn this *OFF*? It serves no useful purpose.

Worse, when you get this error, it blows away the post you composed. Thanks bunches.

Ilian Dinev
06-25-2009, 12:57 PM
I had a bunch of posts erased like that, as I needed to run a firewall to stop the constant worm attacks. Once after posting I was not quick enough to reenable the firewall...

Khronos_webmaster
07-10-2009, 07:26 AM
I got this error today:

"The host from which you are accessing the board is not recognized as a valid host. This is more than likely related to a firewall issue that is blocking the referer variable. Check your firewall settings and try again."

Hi bsder,

I have turned off this feature. Thanks for pointing it out.

alexe
08-05-2009, 11:45 AM
hi i can;t download fron internet please help me someoane.

Khronos_webmaster
08-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Alexe,

Are you having troubles downloading something from the OpenGL Discussion boards?

alexe
08-06-2009, 09:20 AM
i can't download from internet. i don't know what its happening. not just from opengl. from any page... what to do??

Ilian Dinev
08-06-2009, 04:19 PM
1) if you're using Internet Explorer, change your "Security settings" to Medium.
2) get someone to download FireFox for you
3) contact your ISP
4) this is not the right board to discuss this.

Khronos_webmaster
08-31-2009, 05:42 AM
Proper RSS Feeds have been added to the My Stuff menu as well as a direct link to the OpenGL wiki.

mikau
03-05-2010, 04:06 PM
I have a weird problem when posting messages on this site. Whenever I type something in, the scroll bar for the message body textfield automatically jumps to the top of the thread. Effectively I can't type anything bigger than the size of the textfield or I have to scroll back down for each letter I type! I dont know if anyone else has this issue but its seriously annoying! :(

Simon Arbon
03-05-2010, 11:53 PM
If you click the downward pointing black triangle at the top right corner of the text box a few times you can make the text box big enough to fit all of your text and stop it from scrolling.

kRogue
09-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Heads up:

Google Chrome is reporting "The website at www.opengl.org (http://www.opengl.org) appears to host malware ..." for www.opengl.org (http://www.opengl.org), some google searching indicates others have seen it too.

Is is bogus or real issue?

mfort
09-24-2010, 01:05 PM
This is real issue. webmaster has to fix it. (checking the website and remove it from black list)

Usually this is happens when web pages contains link to malware.
It could be forum post with a malware link or webserver hack.

CrazyBillyO
09-24-2010, 04:41 PM
The latest Firefox also reports a similar issue.