Verftex/fragment shading + Mesa?

I’m running Redhat E3 WS with Mesa. I’m all pysched and ready to use vertex/fragment shading (processing), but I’m not sure if it is working yet in the latest release of Mesa? I’ve read conflicting information.

Does anyone know? I do have the option of using the NVidia OpenGL implementation. I was hoping not to proprietariorize myself, but if this feature isn’t available in Mesa, then I may have no choice because I believe I need this feature.

Thanks
Peoter

Mesa supports vertex and fragment shaders through the GL_ARB_vertex_program and GL_ARB_fragment_program extensions. The newer GL_ARB_vertex_shader and GL_ARB_fragment_shader aren’t supported yet.

I was hoping not to proprietariorize myself
How does using a particular implementation of OpenGL “proprietariorize” you? Just because you’re using nVidia’s implementation doesn’t mean that your code is somehow bound to a GeForce card. It’s only a question of which extensions you use that does that.

The GL_ARB_vertex_program and GL_ARB_fragment_program extensions require writing the shading language in a more low level language than something like Cg and more like assembly, is this correct?

Yes,they require you to write in something like assembly language, but as far as I know Cg compiler can output to different assemblies(eg. GL_ARB_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM)

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.