Why not get rid of glBindBuffer()?

Why can’t glsl just accept texture indexes, instead of having to bind the texture and then pass in what texture unit its bound to? It seems like a roundabout way to pass textures, and it’s very annoying.

I assume you mean glBindTexture. It’s mainly historical. With shaders, the whole concept of texture units is obsolete.

As far as I know, they are getting rid of it in the new API for OpenGL 3.0.

Well only partially, i think glBindTexture will still be used in those cases where you are not using shaders.

It’s either that or a default location to pass the samplers to.

Yes, that’s what I meant.

Originally posted by zeoverlord:
Well only partially, i think glBindTexture will still be used in those cases where you are not using shaders.
The question is, if it will be possible to use OpenGL 3.0 without shaders, at all. That would mean it had some kind of a fixed-function pipeline and we all know, that there won’t be such a thing.

But then again, that’s all speculation at this time.

Jan.

The question is, if it will be possible to use OpenGL 3.0 without shaders, at all.
It won’t.

That’s what Longs Peak is all about: formally deprecating all of that stuff. And fixed-function is part of that deprecation.

Originally posted by Korval:
[b] [quote]The question is, if it will be possible to use OpenGL 3.0 without shaders, at all.
It won’t.

That’s what Longs Peak is all about: formally deprecating all of that stuff. And fixed-function is part of that deprecation. [/b][/QUOTE]But what if you won’t require any special shading? Will OpenGL have some sort of default shaders emulating the fixed function pipeline?

No.

But you can still use the old API if you don’t need any features of the new API. The deprecated features won’t be removed.

But they won’t be extended either, so if you want new features, you’ll propably have to use the new API.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.