Floating textures, help please

Alright I done some code to convert 32 bits floats to 16 bits floats, the C type used for those 16bits floats are unsigned short int(2bytes); I just write in it the good binary information as mentionned in the GL_ARB_texture_float spec.

So I build an array tab[256][256] of unsigned short int and then I create my texture like this :

glGenTextures(1, &atan_texture);
     glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, atan_texture); 
     glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);   
     glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR); 
     glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_REPEAT);
     glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_REPEAT);    
     glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_ALPHA16F_ARB, 256, 256, 0, GL_ALPHA, GL_FLOAT, tab);

But windows crashes when doing the glTexImage2D stuff…
Also, when I replace GL_FLOAT by GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT the texture is well created but I need openGL to know that this texture contains floats information.

What am I doing wrong here?

Can fragment shaders access 32bits floats textures(I read somewhere that only vertex shaders could handle 32bits float textures and fragment shaders can handle 16bits floats)?

Cheers, Jeff.

your array tab is of type USHORT. if you tell OpenGL its float, windows crashes for sure.

he C type used for those 16bits floats are unsigned short int(2bytes);
You should use a type of GLhalfARB instead.

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_ALPHA16F_ARB, 256, 256, 0, GL_ALPHA, GL_FLOAT, tab);
This should be:

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_ALPHA16F_ARB, 256, 256, 0, GL_ALPHA, GL_HALF_FLOAT_ARB, tab);

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.