Texcoord lookup -- under-the-hood

I am working on a method of reading values from an image map in a fragment shader and using the values as texture coordinates when sampling a texture color with TEX. I need a technical question answered though.

Normally when you call TEX, you use fragment.texcoord[n] followed by 2D to indicate the look-up method. According to the ARB spec fragment.texcoord[n] contains four components s, t, q, and r. What type of values are stored in those components? My hope is that when you do a 2d lookup, q and r are ignored and s and t correspond to U and V on the mesh texture mapping. If this is not the case, I will need to know how I can convert my own U and V values into something that TEX can use where it would normally be given fragment.texcoord[n].

Yes, s and t contain your UV-coordinates, r and q are ignored.
If you do a 3D or cube lookup, r is involved too, but q always gets ignored. However, it IS allowed, to use a 4D vector as texcoord, though only the necessary components are used for the lookup.

Jan.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.