Generic vertex attrib

From what I understood from ARB_vertex_shader there is nothing special we have to do to use generic vertex attributes.

In GLSL, if someone uses gl_Vertex and gl_Normal (which is what I’m doing) and the code we use

glEnableVertexAttribArrayARB
glDisableVertexAttribArrayARB
glVertexAttribPointerARB

is it suppose to work without having to do anything else?

It seems gl_Vertex contains valid values, but gl_Normal has a constant (wrong!) normal.

If I use glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);
glVertexPointer
glEnableClientState(GL_NORMAL_ARRAY);
glNormalPointer

it works as expected.

Can someone explain?

Do you pass the normal to vertex index number 2 or do you fetch the vertex location with glGetAttribLocationARB(“gl_Normal”) and then pass the normal to that location?

Originally posted by V-man:
[b]From what I understood from ARB_vertex_shader there is nothing special we have to do to use generic vertex attributes.

In GLSL, if someone uses gl_Vertex and gl_Normal (which is what I’m doing) and the code we use

glEnableVertexAttribArrayARB
glDisableVertexAttribArrayARB
glVertexAttribPointerARB

is it suppose to work without having to do anything else?

It seems gl_Vertex contains valid values, but gl_Normal has a constant (wrong!) normal.

If I use glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);
glVertexPointer
glEnableClientState(GL_NORMAL_ARRAY);
glNormalPointer

it works as expected.

Can someone explain?[/b]
There is no aliasing between generic vertex attributes and fixed function attributes, except for gl_Vertex and generic attrib 0.
So using gl_Normal while enabling a vertex attrib is not a proper usage.
This is true for ARB_vertex_program as well, where aliasing is unspeficied.
If you want to use generic attributes, you will have to use a generic attribute in your shader, and get (or set) the attribute location in your C code.
Note as well that getting the location of gl_Normal should return -1, as it is a built in attribute, that you cannot load through generic attribute API.
so instead of using gl_Normal, use
attribute vec4 mynormal;
and then, do a
glGetAttribLocationARB(prog, “mynormal”);
Then you can enable/setup that vertex attribute.

so instead of using gl_Normal, use
attribute vec4 mynormal;
and then, do a
glGetAttribLocationARB(prog, “mynormal”);
The problem with this is you have to know ahead of time the name “mynormal”.

Besides, I though the standard attributes occupied specific slots, like for normal it is slot 2.

There is no aliasing between generic vertex attributes and fixed function attributes, except for gl_Vertex and generic attrib 0.
From my understanding, they had to do this because vertex or attrib0 is used for signaling, but I don’t see an explanation why gl_Normal and attrib2 can’t be the same?

glGetAttribLocationARB(handle, “gl_Normal”) is defined to return -1 for some unexplained reason.

Yes, I know about ARB_vertex_program.
It too defined normals as beeing mapped to attrib2 but there is no aliasing … weird

[QB]The problem with this is you have to know ahead of time the name “mynormal”.

Besides, I though the standard attributes occupied specific slots, like for normal it is slot 2.

This is not the case. That is what I mean when I say there is no aliasing. the way the spec is written, slot 2 is a generic slot number 2, normal is a built-in slot. They do not end up being the same. In ARB_vertex_shader, you will see no table saying 2 is normal.

[QB]
From my understanding, they had to do this because vertex or attrib0 is used for signaling, but I don’t see an explanation why gl_Normal and attrib2 can’t be the same?

Well, the spec says they are not.
From the spec:
There is no aliasing among generic attributes and conventional attributes. In other
words, an application can set all MAX_VERTEX_ATTRIBS_ARB generic attributes and all
conventional attributes without fear of one particular attribute overwriting the value
of another attribute.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.