Can you try my engine?

Hi everybody!
I’m developing a little 3d engine in OpenGl. I’d like you to try it (a few minutes!) and send me some feedback.
My e-mail is MarcoAltomonte@hotmail.it

Download page: http://www.webalice.it/altomonte (3 MB)

These are some functionality:
Portals (Automatic sector generaion from human-placed portals)
Per pixel lighting (GLSL + Blinn + Ambient)
ShadowVolumes
Skeletal Animation (SSE)
Static Lights optimizations (Smallest set of lighted surfaces, optimized zfail shadows)

I think a 3d card with GLSL will be cabable to running the engine.
The map I included in this first realease is very simple (I’m not a very good level-designer!), but
I tried the Engine on VERY large sectorialised maps and framerate is ok.
If you are interested in helping me on map creation (I use GtkRadiant), send me an e-mail!
Thanks to all! Bye!

From what you have written, your engine is certainly interesting. However I think it is only NV compatible, because on my Radeon 9800 catalyst 4.12) it says >>

Log Started
No Hardware support for GL_EXT_stencil_two_side
No Hardware support for glDepthBoundsEXT
Cannot compile Shaders/Light.glsl shader
Log ended

I think the problem is that in your shaders you use half3, float3, fixed3 (…) data types.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t remember those in the GLSlang spec.

Feed from Shader Designer >>

Last build: 14:41:48
Compiling Vertex Shaders…
vp0.vert
ERROR: 0:1: ‘float3’ : syntax error parse error

|+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++|
|+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++|
Linking all shaders…
Link failed. All shader objects have not been successfully compiled.

I am not sure whether it is the only problem, but I think it would be nice if you added ARB (unoptimized)path for compatibility.

Good luck!

The log file was:

Log Started
Canno find texture ANIMATdds
Canno find texture Animazione.dds
Log ended

It runs at 180 to 1500 frames per second.
Advance Lighting at 120 - 150 frames per second.

6800GT 256M
P4 3.0 GHZ - 1GB RAM

GF 5900XT, works fine, and is indeed very interesting…The animation on the screen was a nice surprise too…and tell me, what’s your next step? Physics? Parallax?

Twixn

To Lurker_pas:
Thanks for the help! Effectively I used float3,half3,fixed3… These types are functional on my test card (NVIDIA).
I resolved this problem with vec3,hvec3,fvec3 (is it correct?)
I uploaded the new version with support for Ati_separate (does it work correctly?)
Can you also try HiQuality mode? You have to put the var “Texture_HiLo” to 1 (it’s in Profiles/CommonConfig.ini).

To Twixn:
Thank you. My next step is to improve Skeletal Animation algorithm (And to find some free model to show…).
I also have to work harder on blenind passes and special effects.
For the next week I hope to find a little more complex map to show (portals and so on…)

Ok, i’m wrong: Not “Texture_HiLo” But “Video_HiFiPhong”

>> I tried combinations of Texture_HiLo and Video_HiFiPhong, but the engine works only when Texture_HiLo is set to 1. When it is set to 0, the caption changes to something like (…)Press F2 for dynamic lights(…), but the app hangs (it doesn’t react, but it uses the CPU), and all I see is light blueish color.
When Texture_HiLo is set to 1, the app works, but:

1. the scene looks plain, as there was no lighting at all (just textures). The exception is the screen animation that looks quite nice.
  2. when I look towards the screen, I get 100-400 fps (depending on the place,angle…), but when I look towards the windows, I get ~1 or less fps
  3. when I press F2 there is a red light on certain sides of objects, but it doesn’t look proper.

I guess my next card will be NV:)

Wish you good luck.

The log is as follows (when the app works)>>

Log Started
OpenGl System: Found Hardware Support for ‘GL_WIN_swap_hint’ Extension
OpenGl System: Found Hardware Support for ‘GL_ARB_occlusion_query’ Extension
OpenGl System: Found Hardware Support for ‘GL_ATI_separate_stencil’ Extension
OpenGl System: Start compilation of ‘Shaders/LightHQ.glsl’ shader
OpenGl System: Successful compilation of VertexShader for ‘Shaders/LightHQ.glsl’ shader
OpenGl System: Successful compilation of FragmentShader for ‘Shaders/LightHQ.glsl’ shader
OpenGl System: End compilation of ‘Shaders/LightHQ.glsl’ shader
OpenGl System: Start compilation of ‘Shaders/Shadow_Ati.glsl’ shader
OpenGl System: Successful compilation of VertexShader for ‘Shaders/Shadow_Ati.glsl’ shader
OpenGl System: Successful compilation of FragmentShader for ‘Shaders/Shadow_Ati.glsl’ shader
OpenGl System: End compilation of ‘Shaders/Shadow_Ati.glsl’ shader
Texture System: Cannot load texture ANIMATdds
Texture System: Cannot load texture Animazione.dds
Texture System: Cannot load texture textures/legno_s.dds
Log ended

The log is as follows (when the app doesn’t work)>>

Log Started
OpenGl System: Found Hardware Support for ‘GL_WIN_swap_hint’ Extension
OpenGl System: Found Hardware Support for ‘GL_ARB_occlusion_query’ Extension
OpenGl System: Found Hardware Support for ‘GL_ATI_separate_stencil’ Extension
OpenGl System: Start compilation of ‘Shaders/LightHQ.glsl’ shader
OpenGl System: Successful compilation of VertexShader for ‘Shaders/LightHQ.glsl’ shader
OpenGl System: Successful compilation of FragmentShader for ‘Shaders/LightHQ.glsl’ shader
OpenGl System: End compilation of ‘Shaders/LightHQ.glsl’ shader
OpenGl System: Start compilation of ‘Shaders/Shadow_Ati.glsl’ shader
OpenGl System: Successful compilation of VertexShader for ‘Shaders/Shadow_Ati.glsl’ shader
OpenGl System: Successful compilation of FragmentShader for ‘Shaders/Shadow_Ati.glsl’ shader
OpenGl System: End compilation of ‘Shaders/Shadow_Ati.glsl’ shader
Texture System: Cannot load texture ANIMATdds
Texture System: Cannot load texture Animazione.dds
Texture System: Cannot load texture textures/legno_s.dds

i have a radeon 9600 SE and it only run at about 0.2 fps

Originally posted by Lurker_pas:
I guess my next card will be NV:)

right, so because someone doesnt program to the spec and NV doesnt have a standard compliant compiler you move to a different gfx card… wow, thats logical…

<QUOTE>(…)someone doesn’t program to the spec and NV doesnt have a standard compliant compiler(…)</QUOTE>

I know it’s a bit of picking on, but>>

ATI used to compile const vec3 Temp = (1.0,1.0,1.0);
now it requires const vec3 Temp = vec3(1.0,1.0,1.0);(As in the spec)
That’s not important, but it also didn’t compile some VALID things. So far they fixed everything I ran into (that’t good), but I haven’t been programming seriously for a few months(studies) and I didn’t have the chance to stumble on new problems:)

Both compilers (NV and ATI) have issues. And it’s hard to say whether it’s good to compile more than should be.

But that’s another story.<END/FINITO/SCHLUSS>

<QUOTE>I guess my next card will be NV:)</QUOTE>

My mind was a bit elsewhere(one can dream before Christmas, can’t he?). I was thinking about features. And here (from what I read, sorry, I cannnot validate it by myself) NV wins (6800 vs X800).
I just wrote it in wrong context. Sorry for misunderstading.

To bobvodka:
I think you are right: It’s my fault, I didn’t follow glsl specs.
I create this topic to have a wider feedback than that I can receive from my friends.

I uploaded a new executable www.webalice.it/altomonte/enginelog.zip with extensive logging for Ati cards.
It’s useless for NVcards. It will run very slowly because of harddisk writes. Thank to all.

Originally posted by Lurker_pas:
Both compilers (NV and ATI) have issues. And it’s hard to say whether it’s good to compile more than should be.

Oh, I agree both have issues, but adding types which dont exist in the spec I would say was a larger issue than not asking the user to be explicate, an issue which wouldnt come up anyways if people paid attension to the spec on these things :wink:

[b]

My mind was a bit elsewhere(one can dream before Christmas, can’t he?). I was thinking about features. And here (from what I read, sorry, I cannnot validate it by myself) NV wins (6800 vs X800).
I just wrote it in wrong context. Sorry for misunderstading.[/b]
hehe, fair enuff, i’ll let you off this time :wink:

Hi everybody. I didn’t posted anythings for days 'cause server loging problems. Now I uploaded a new version with a new map (UAC Mintenace Deptartment Version 1.0
Author: Eric Stenborg eric@stenborg.us http://www.stenborg.us/doom3maps)..) Unfortunately I can’t upload copyrighted texture so I use one of the old ones…
I also uploaded a extensive logging exec www.webalice.it/altomonte/EngineLog.exe
After 18 loading phases it display only the 3 visible lights, create a screenshot and exit with a big log. Try It!

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.