just how "CP" is CPW?

I’ve been working a little bit in GLUT and decided I would like to switch gears and work in a system that is actually alive. But GLUT does at least run on the Mac and Linux… what’s the status with CPW? I noticed the last release was nearly a year ago. Is it done? Not being worked on? Can it do everything GLUT can? (okay, everything that you’d want GLUT to do)

Originally posted by mv:
I’ve been working a little bit in GLUT and decided I would like to switch gears and work in a system that is actually alive. But GLUT does at least run on the Mac and Linux… what’s the status with CPW? I noticed the last release was nearly a year ago. Is it done? Not being worked on? Can it do everything GLUT can? (okay, everything that you’d want GLUT to do)

Hey mv,

Cpw is indeed an active project. I tend not to do frequent updates to the library, I believe a new release once a year is sufficient. The 2.0 release will be out here in the next month or so, with a few new odds and ends like drag and drop and cut and paste, and some new really robust documentation I’ve been working on. Overall the library is in very good shape, and is reliable. Hence the lack of a need to do frequent mid year updates.

As far as what it can do, it can do everything GLUT can do, and it does it better. Plus it has numerous features that GLUT does not. I’d suggest you check out the web site and api docs for specifics.

The biggest draw back to Cpw right now is that nobody has ported it to X11. Something I’ve debated doing myself but have not gotten around too.

Regards,
Jim