Driver freezes in glCallList() on Radeon 9600 Pro

I’m currently developing a small 3D engine as a hobby project, and I just added a simple sky dome renderer. Surprise! Every time I ran my engine the computer froze and I had to do a hard reset. After several megabytes of logfile output I finally tracked the problem down to a single call of glCallList(). I have worked with display lists many times before, but it never crashed or froze my system.

The display list contains nothing unsual, just a lot of calls to glVertex3fv(). What’s even more strange is that the problem manifests itself only after several thousand calls to glCallList() have been made. It looks like some kind of memory leak in the driver to me. The above mentioned call to glCallList() is currently the only such call in the engine. It works flawlessly albeit slower if I’m rendering directly, without a display list.

I also made sure to check for errors after every API call around the problematic code. Just GL_NO_ERROR all the time, as it should be.

I’m using Win98SE, a ATI Radeon 9600 Pro with Catalyst 4.3 on a Elitegroup K7S5A board, and I’m using MinGW to develop my engine.

Has anyone else seen something like this with recent ATI drivers on Win98?

After years of toiling with windows I’ve come to a single conclusion: win9x is evil. I was on the verge of giving up on the windows thing when 2000/XP came out - it’s like night and day. Let’s just hope the whole win9x thing goes away. As for your problem, I wish I could help you pal. I’ve seen so many blue screens under 9x, I thought of making it a screen saver. :slight_smile:

I certainly agree with that, however, I faced two obstacles until now that prevented me from upgrading my Win98 to 2000 or XP. The first is the exorbitant high amount of time I would require to restore my current working environment after a new installation of Windows, the second is the price of a retail license of WinXP (costs around 200€ here). I said “had” in the first sentence because my university just started participation in the MSDNAA program this week, which means I can now get a copy of WinXP Pro for no money (though not for commercial use).

Anyway, thanks for your comment.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.