Mingw and SDL on windows vista help

I’m not sure where to post this but since it is software related issue, i guess it fits here.

Currently, Im in a class where we are taught to program openGL with C. All the workstations at school are running under windows XP and to install mingw and SDL, i just followed these steps:

1. Download and install -> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/MinGW-5.1.3.exe
  2. Go to system -> advance -> environment variables -> path then added - C:\MinGW\bin on the end
  3. Downloaded -> development libraries, win32 the one with mingw from http://libsdl.org/download-1.2.php
  4. unzip’d to c:\
  5. copied SDL.dll from the SDL folder to windows folder

Now it worked flawlessly in school. For example I created a program named simpleGL.c and ran

gcc simpleGL.c -I c:\SDL-1.2.11\include -L c:\SDL-1.2.11\lib -lmingw32 -lSDLmain -lSDL -lglu32 -lopengl32 -mwindows

on the command prompt. That would create a a.exe on the same folder. Works perfectly and all and saved the same files on my USB flashdrive.

Ok, i got home and did the same steps on my pc (windows vista ultimate). installed ok and when i did the same gcc command, it gave me an error that cc1 was missing. So i did a search and found it inside one of mingw’s folders in C:. Copied it to windows folder and compiled it again. Poof! Lots of errors and it did not generate any exe.

Can anyone help me on this? Really need this for my modeling projects. I do hope that I wont have to revert back to windows xp

found it inside one of mingw’s folders in C:. Copied it to windows folder and compiled it again
Holy cow Batman ! You have a long way to go :smiley:
Go back to XP now, it will save you from a lot of troubles :slight_smile:

Well maybe it can work under Vista, but :

• check that the %PATH% variable actually contains c:\MinGW\bin (looks like it is not, that is why it did not found cc1, and probably other important programs)
  • check that mingw supports vista
  • check that SDL supports vista

… and come back when you have a problem actually related to OpenGL.
No offense, but really, there are a lot of better places to ask for basic programming support.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.