OpenGL under Windows XP profesional 64-but edition

Greetings, have an following problem…
Has install Win XP x64, has install 64-bit driver for video, has install game " Riddick: Escape from butcer bay ", tried to start 64-bit exe, presented there. The program has crash with message about that I do not have necessary version OpenGL. Has tried to start 32-bit exe, the same thing. Under old 32-bit architecture Riddick worked normally. If who knows what a problem in that, please tell…
It is not critical, but still i wish to know whats wrong.

You can check OpenGL Extensions Viewer . There is a 64-bit native version, you can test if OpenGL actually works.

A note about OpenGL on Windows XP x64:

You need to install the ISV drivers (Catalyst or Forceware if you are using ATI or nVidia) in order to use OpenGL with WinXP 64.

Microsoft deliberated locked down OpenGL by default on WinXP 64 : If an application try to use OpenGL with the drivers shipped with WinXP 64, OpenGL initialization will ‘badly’ fails (even no OpenGL GDI+ fallback).

It’s a bit better on Windows Vista, because OpenGL is emulated (or wrapped) by DirectX by default.

This is known Riddick bug. Game check for gl version and expect v1.5, but driver returns 2.0. Because of bug in games it wrongly interpret 2.0 and rcrash.

Download and install latest Riddick patch (v1.1) or use RivaTuner to override drivers gl version string.

yooyo

Originally posted by execom_rt:
[b]A note about OpenGL on Windows XP x64:

You need to install the ISV drivers (Catalyst or Forceware if you are using ATI or nVidia) in order to use OpenGL with WinXP 64.

Microsoft deliberated locked down OpenGL by default on WinXP 64 : If an application try to use OpenGL with the drivers shipped with WinXP 64, OpenGL initialization will ‘badly’ fails (even no OpenGL GDI+ fallback).
[/b]
Huh? WinXP 64 is as ‘locked’ as WinXP 32 is. In both systems you have to install ICDs, they don’t come inbox.

What happens is that on WinXP 32 there’s a thin D3D wrapper for quake3-style games. That wrapper may be disabled on WinXP 64 for 64-bit apps, but I know for sure it’s enabled for 32-bit apps.
Both WinXP 64 32-bit and 64-bit apps have the software OpenGL implementation available, so I don’t know what you are talking about with “OpenGL initialization will ‘badly’ fails (even no OpenGL GDI+ fallback)”.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.