Texture memory in use?

Is there a way to query the amount of available texture memory from within an OpenGL app? I seem to recall a method to do this sort of thing using DirectX.

Suggestions?

You can use glAreTexturesResident() to see if textures are loaded in texture memory,
but you can’t use OpenGL to query how much memory is available. But it’s not like I really
need to know or can control it in anyway.

Originally posted by gator:
You can use glAreTexturesResident() to see if textures are loaded in texture memory,
but you can’t use OpenGL to query how much memory is available.

Yeah, I didn’t think there was an OpenGL way to do this. But I seem to recall a method to query the amount of free texture memory using DirectX. Just can’t seem to remember the specifics. I was hoping someone else had some experience using DirectX in an OpenGL app for this purpose.

Unless you want to use that information for statistics only, I don’t believe it will help
you much. I think the graphics card can do anything it wants with it, whenever it wants,
as you have no control over it, so the information returned may not even be accurate.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.