opengl/openinventor/rh7.3

if this is considered a cross-post, sorry – i didn’t see this section of the help forums before posting last nite…the original post should probably be deleted…as the question herein is about opengl dependencies during an openinventor installation

New to linux, i am rapidly spiraling into confusion when trying to install openinventor on a system running rh7.3 – and that uses NVIDIA graphics drivers – that is, mesa comes with rh7.3, and the nvidia drivers install their own brand of opengl…hence i am not sure why during the installation, the openinventor rpms complain opengl is not installed – or just what i am missing or need to do.

I thought that the NVIDIA drivers only overwrote certain libraries…

installing openinventor2.1.5-73 rpms, the system says:
[@localhost openInventor]# rpm -ivh openinventor-2.1.5-7.3.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
OpenGL is needed by openinventor-2.1.5-7.3
libstdc++.so.2.10 is needed by openinventor-2.1.5-7.3

using sgi-openinventor2.1.5-10 from sgi site, [@localhost openInventor]# rpm -ivh sgi-OpenInventor-2.1.5-10-clients.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3) is needed by sgi-OpenInventor-clients-2.1.5-10
libgcc_s.so.1 is needed by sgi-OpenInventor-clients-2.1.5-10
libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.0) is needed by sgi-OpenInventor-clients-2.1.5-10
libstdc++.so.5 is needed by sgi-OpenInventor-clients-2.1.5-10
libstdc++.so.5(CXXABI_1.2) is needed by sgi-OpenInventor-clients-2.1.5-10
libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2) is needed by sgi-OpenInventor-clients-2.1.5-10

(these libs included, i believe, with rh9, but not won’t work on rh7.3)

I am doubly confused because the last time i looked, opengl was (sgi) proprietary…

I can’t seem to find any other versions (of OpenInventor, so am sorta stuck…mebbe it will be more clear in the morning ;], but, again, i am just not sure what to add/do at this point.

anybody know/understand what i mean/need to do so i don’t kill what i have?

Thanks in advance :]