Preview of OpenGL 2.0?

I appologise that this is not quite the right forum, but can anyone tell me if it’s possible to get a sneak preview of what functionality will be in OpenGL 2.0? I’m specically thinking about occulusion culling, such as NV_Occluusion_Query.

http://www.3dlabs.com/support/developer/ogl2/index.htm

Thank you. Interestingly, it doesn’t mention the NVIDIA_Occlusion_Query, though it does say that it hasn’t been decided wherther the HP_Occlusion_Test will be included.

Can someone provide an insight into why these features may not be included. I think also that Selection and Feedback may be removed, are the in someway difficult to implement?

In regards to selection and feedback, no consumer hardware supports these functions. I’m not sure that high-end hardware accelerates them either. Based on that, there’s little reason to keep them around.

Selectionbuffer is neat for selections, and feedbackbuffer can be used for a lot of stuff… since when does a function need to be accelerated to be usefull?

All matrix functions was unaccelerated until the first T&L cards ( and rotate,translate,scale are probably still unaccelerated) and i think they are pretty usefull. keep the Selection and Feedback!

Originally posted by esuvs:
Thank you. Interestingly, it doesn’t mention the NVIDIA_Occlusion_Query, though it does say that it hasn’t been decided wherther the HP_Occlusion_Test will be included.

Those are extensions to OGL1.x. My understanding is that 1.x functions will still be available in 2.0.

Can someone provide an insight into why these features may not be included. I think also that Selection and Feedback may be removed, are the in someway difficult to implement?

They may not be included because they are not usually accelerated. They usually are not accelerated because of the AGP bus. CPU-to-GPU is fast. GPU-to-CPU is slow.