Shader chanel portability

Open-gl shader for standard 3d graphic !
Try to immaginate develop game in maya or max or cinema and use the true open-gl shader inside maya,in the workspace shadin,in the preview and the final render.

Create open-gl shader with every 3d software is possible !
Do you know darktree shader ?
Is a shader program usable with every 3d software but only the chanel of the shader is truely portable on some 3d software.

If Open-gl shader can interact with darktree i belive open-gl reach the best of portability !

Try the GLSL spec on the main site.

3dsmax6 can use the DirectX .fx/hlsl format to render shaders in realtime into the MAX using the DirectX 9 Shader Material ( look in its help “Using Vertex and Pixel shaders” )

If I remember well hlsl was FIRST in dx and , then, extended to ogl and btw, i really think the current glsl shader language in an error. It should be standarized using the hlsl format, so dx and ogl can share the same shader code ( so kill glsl and use dx HLSL as an standard pls, we are too lazy to code 2 shaders that make the same using different code…(one for dx and other for ogl, bah, use THE SAME CODE!!! )

[This message has been edited by santyhammer (edited 02-28-2004).]

[This message has been edited by santyhammer (edited 03-03-2004).]

SGI had a high level shading language for OpenGL called OpenGL Shader back in 1993. At the time, if you remember, DirectX was called WinG(begin flame — and sucked — end flame).

HLSL was in Fahrenheit first, which was a hybridization of OpenGL, DirectX, SceneGraph and a few other technologies. It was neither OpenGL nor DirectX, and it failed beyond all measure. (begin flame — and we all know why — end flame)

3dsmax6 via free third-party software can also use the opengl shaders.

If you are too lazy to code 2 shaders only support the shader you want. If you have no incentive to support OpenGL shaders then don’t. If your customers need it, they will tell you. That will provide the only incentive you’d need.

Fahrenheit never “saw the light”… OpenGL shading language appeared officially NOW( and STILL waiting for a NVIDIA forceware driver that support it… ). So dont talk about things that NEVER “saw the light…” pls… DX was the first, period. Actually DX is as good or even better than OGL ( if you dont trust me tell me why humus is porting some of his demos to DX or why Unreal2k3/2 uses DX too… ), but this is not the theme in this post.

If I remember well only NVIDIA has a nice sdk for Cg using MAX/Maya/XSI … The problem is that I think Cg will loose force with the time and Cg doesnt support well some non-NVIDIA (ATI/Wildcat) shader models…

And well, current glsl I think is a clear error ( they should get HLSL as an standard, simply because was first and more developers have the knowledge to manage it ), but well… Cg can solve partialy the 2 different shader languages for the same project, so no problem ( almost for now ).

Santy,
would you please stop posting until your brain has fully developed?

/quote

zeckensack says:
Santy,
would you please stop posting until your brain has fully developed?

Lol, i am trying to be constructive doing comparisons, pls dont flame me if said words like “DX” or “Microsoft”… And second, perhaps you never developed with “high level” shaders on multiple platforms, but actually there is a problem because the ogl’s shader language != dx shad lang != other shader languages… am I stupid if I ask for a shader language standard? I will say that no…
And zec, perhaps if you stop insulting the ppl and you suggest USEFUL things OGL could progress better. The only person who can stfu me is a moderator btw

To insult is very easy. btw, cant see ANY ogl2x suggestion started by you… So less insults and more suggestions “con fundamento”

and STILL waiting for a NVIDIA forceware driver that support it

Which already exists, btw. In a beta form.

Glslang is not a trivial thing to implement. You can’t expect everybody to drop whatever they’re doing when the ARB approves some extension and implement it.

Korval, do you know if NVIDIA has much work to correct to “make gold” the new forceware driver? ( I think they are testing the ut2k4 compatibily with the drivers )? I waaaaant the final NVIDIA glsl driver for ya omg!

Originally posted by chemdog:
SGI had a high level shading language for OpenGL called OpenGL Shader back in 1993. At the time, if you remember

http://www.sgi.com/software/shader/faq.html#1

"OpenGL Shader, first released in 2000, is the product birthed from SGI research into performing shading on arbitrary OpenGL hardware. This research was presented at SIGGRAPH 2000 simultaneously with the release of OpenGL Shader. The paper can be found here: "

Originally posted by chemdog:
DirectX was called WinG(begin flame — and sucked — end flame).

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B125698

DirectX and WinG are unrelated.
The only thing we can say is that WinG came just before DX and died quick.

DX9 was released on December 21, 2002
and 3D labs OS compiler was released on
July 19, 2003 and GLSL is in development.

[QUOTE]
OpenGL Shader, first released in 2000
[\QUOTE]
This would be the release of a release version of the API, and paper detailing its architecture. I know for fact that it existed in a usable form between Final Fantasy 6(Final Fantasy 3 USA) and Final Fantasy 7. I had viewed Square’s CGI character demos of Locke and Terra, the same day as reading about Shader. I had to look up the word Fresnel, and thought it would be a good character name. (All rights belong to their respective owners).

WinG was the first release of a DirectX API, though not using the name DirectX. WinG stood for Windows Graphics, and was avilable for Windows 3.1. It was later included in the Microsoft Game SDK; containing mmplay(MIDI, and WAV support) and rudimentary input support for keyboards. When 3.1 (Developer) support was dropped entirely in favor of 95, WinG evolved into Direct X 1.0. Also called the Microsoft Game SDK. The only new functionality present was hardware overlays. Which you would know, if you ported Doom to Windows.