Things to Add - from a newbie :)

Through my introduction to GL, I find that a lot of the things you would think to be so simple takes LOTS of code. I think thats cool and I totally understand why it is that way, but with a few of these things it just doesn’t make sense! For example, loading a model is a PAIN, why should it be so difficult? Shouldn’t there be built in support for loading models so I don’t have to go to some third party lame class to do it?

Another thing I’m getting tired of is how the windows and the opengl mouse coordinates are switched! It’s a real pain and while its sad to have yet another company conform to windows, it should be changed.

The next thing I wish would be added, although its rather an abstract thing to put into graphics classes, is SOUND SUPPORT! I don’t wanto go crawling to microsoft for their directX SDK while DIRECTX SUCKS. If there is already don’t flame me, I’m just not aware of any.

I am a newbie so try and understand, these are just my thoughts of what I could contribute to the development of OpenGL - Thank You

EDIT: After posting this I thought a little harder and I realized that it should also be MUCH easier to work with gif’s, jpeg’s, and bmp’s while maintaining the customization of the process for more advanced users.

[This message has been edited by 31337 (edited 05-16-2002).]

You probably should have taken a look at the previous messages here before posting this. Virtually all of what you’ve suggested, from model loading to images, has been suggested and shot down.

Alright I’ll check it out and see if I change my reasoning :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by 31337:
The next thing I wish would be added, although its rather an abstract thing to put into graphics classes, is SOUND SUPPORT!

there’s always OpenAL…go to www.openal.org for more detials.

images? there’s OpenIL too…search for it, i dunno where’s thea ctual url though…

Originally posted by 31337:
For example, loading a model is a PAIN, why should it be so difficult? Shouldn’t there be built in support for loading models so I don’t have to go to some third party lame class to do it?

No, this leads to propritary file formats as we’ve seen with DirectX and the X-files :wink:
However noone serious uses them. OpenGL is not the ultimate Multimedia support API. Its just a 3D render API.

Another thing I’m getting tired of is how the windows and the opengl mouse coordinates are switched!

OpenGL doesn’t know a mouse… So the rest you wrote is complete nonsense.

It’s a real pain and while its sad to have yet another company conform to windows, it should be changed.

Huh, what do you mean? Does this anything contribute to OpenGL?

[This message has been edited by heXAriTH (edited 05-22-2002).]

“OpenGL is designed as a streamlined, hardware independant interface…To achieve these qualities, no commands for performing windowing tasks or user input are included in opengl” - From the Red Book.

I think I’d be safe in assuming that the good people at SGI still want to stick to this principle. I think, judging from the context of the particular paragraph in the red book, that we can add “no user input, graphics file formats, 3d mesh files, SOUND SUPPORT, etc. are included in openGL”

OpenGL is meant to provide a core interface to graphics hardware, nothing more than that, and I think we can all apreciate the clean API that it has turned out to be.

Check out www.libsdl.org, if you want an API that can utelise openGL, and platform dependent sound architecture, as well as input (Keyboard joystick and mouse).

[This message has been edited by chmod (edited 05-29-2002).]