Display list better than extensions ?

Well, I’ve learn the thread about display list. I think that DL is the most elegant manner to do a fast server side display mechanism. What I would like to see in next OpenGL versions is a enhanced Display List mechanism, with the support of more state change and a more unified and optimized implantation of this feature in drivers.

Well, I think DL is the best way because it provide an abstraction of the format used by the servers : the data can be stored in on board memory, in the best format for GPUs. I think display list should avoid per chips extensions like ATI or Nvidia ones, by making the job automatically when building display list, and manage all in a more efficient and abstract manner.

In the same way, DL should offer the possibility to encapsulate states changes, to provide a set of piece to compose effects. Some people would like to have a more sophisticated DL that go on the way of a scene graph manager, but I think they are wrong : I think display list should be enhanced to offer a simple way to reach best performance by make implicit optimizations.

What do you think of that ?

Gaby

PS : pardon for my bad english…!

As it seems, you didn’t understand, what extensions are, maybe you think of geometriy primitive optimition extensions like VA range or fences. But to say it clearly: Extensions are meant as a way to provide access to further or experimental features like new types of textures or pixel formats, before they go into the ARB.
But for the rest, I agree with you, that DLs are a must for easy state management. But with all that comfort you shouldn’t forget, that the best state change is no state change…