The Pipeline newsletter

Anybody know if Kronos is going to continue quarterly updates to the Pipeline? They marked it as big achievement in doing this but now it’s September and they haven’t released the summer edition.

They could just wrap up the SIGGRAPH stuff into the Pipeline for the summer edition.

search the advanced forum about this time 3 months ago there was a similar thread

Please ask this question when they actually skip a quarter. So far, they haven’t even been late. September is the end of this quarter, so they’ve still got plenty of time.

I’d be happy for them to hold off a bit and give us a big hit of GL3.0 info around the same time the spec goes public.

Supposedly, the spec will go live at the end of September. I’d be happy if their newsletter was just the 3.0 spec. Maybe with a title like, “It’s Done!

The Pipeline vol. 4 was released exactly 3 months ago…

Yes, and when this month ends, you can complain.

Last I checked, they still have 10 days.

I could be wrong, but I think pudman’s ready for that newsletter.

heh you think?

I care less about the newletter and more about the spec at this point; spec + newsletter at end of sept could be a dangerous combination however, i’m not sure how the world would react to a geekasm of that size :wink:

The Pipeline is a good effort towards more public awareness of OpenGL: What it does, what it doesn’t, how it compares to D3D. Not saying the Pipeline should explicitly have this information, but getting more out there in a public fashion is what’s needed.

Just check the comments on a recent slashdot article review the 6th ed. Red Book [ link ]

I was only teasing you before, pudman (if there was any doubt).

bobvodka, a geekasm of that size is likely to put me in the hospital for extensive rehab. At least I’ll have something good to read while I’m in traction.

Have no fear… One of the reasons I prod for the newsletter is to feed my surfing addiction. Maybe it’s the only reason!

Must surf…

They could just wrap up the SIGGRAPH stuff into the Pipeline for the summer edition
Why’s it called the summer edition if they are going to release it in the middle of Winter :confused:

Seriously, I would expect that a professional organisation publishing specifications world-wide would know that this planet has two hemispheres with opposite seasons.

Don’t most magazines and the like publish their “summer edition” in anticipation of summer (or during) instead of just after?

Simon, OpenGL wasn’t made for people in the southern hemisphere. Sorry.

Why’s it called the summer edition if they are going to release it in the middle of Winter
It’s not called the summer edition. That’s just what he called it.

Seriously, I would expect that a professional organisation publishing specifications world-wide would know that this planet has two hemispheres with opposite seasons.
I would also expect those people to know that the majority of the landmass of the planet to be in the northern hemisphere. The one where it’s, you know, “summer”.

Of course, it stopped being summer quite recently. It is now autumn/fall.

Korval: It’s not called the summer edition. That’s just what he called it.
The pipeline main page does list the issues by season.
The front page banner of the first 3 editions do the right thing and call themselves “Q3 2006” to “Q1 2007”, but pipeline_004 has “Spring 2007” written under the issue number.

Pudman: Simon, OpenGL wasn’t made for people in the southern hemisphere. Sorry.
It wasn’t made for people in the northern hemishere either, or it would be called OpenNHGL.
OpenGL is a planet-wide standard for everybody.

Korval: the majority of the landmass of the planet to be in the northern hemisphere. The one where it’s, you know, “summer”.

Actually, if you take out the tropics where they only have the two seasons “Wet” and “Dry” and everything too far north to have 4 seasons, then thats not true. (dont forget we get Antarctica) :smiley:

Anyway, i only mentioned it because the cinema companies keep telling us that their new movie is coming out next “summer” and half the time they mean June and half the time December and its becoming ANNOYING. :mad:

It wasn’t made for people in the northern hemishere either, or it would be called OpenNHGL.
I believe that is what they decided to call Mount Evans. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would trade that seasonal confusion for having kangaroos and coala bears at my disposal =)

I’m curious what you would do with kangaroos and koalas at your disposal…I suppose you could eat the kangaroo and use the koala for company during late night GLSL coding sessions? (being nocturnal)

They are cute to look at and a nice break from staring at 8pt fonts for days :wink: