Multiple Monitor Support,never mentioned!

Hi,ALL

My Two cent’s worth…here…when using two videocards to run dual monitors on cannot play any OPENGL games…even if you are only using one card,same with Dual Video cards one has to go back to Normal mode to use it…and with a two card system one has to REMOVE the second card…OpenGL needs to work with either mode of operation.So this NEEDS to be addressed…MS started this by putting Dual mode into windows…I do Editing
with Video and need Dual mode operation…BUT I cannot use dual mode because I like to play games also! This realy does need to be looked at!
Regards Dennis

OpenGL doesn’t have anything to do with that. This is the fault of the manufacturer of the basic implementation and interface. In the case of Windows, providing OpenGL multi-monitor support for the ICD mechanism would involve Microsoft adding multi-monitor support into OpenGL32.dll. That’s probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Dual monitors is nothing that OpenGL should deal with. OpenGL is used for the actual rendering only, and nothing more. Dual setup is a platfor issue. Same goes with creating a window, creating a rendering context, set a suitable pixel format. All of these things is done outside OpenGL, by a separate API specific to the platform (Win32 API on Windows for example).

I think that I’ve seen a pro card that mentioned supporting OpenGL on two displays. Can’t remember, but do have a look at 3dlabs or whatever.

Originally posted by ET3D:
I think that I’ve seen a pro card that mentioned supporting OpenGL on two displays. Can’t remember, but do have a look at 3dlabs or whatever.

It’s 3dLab’s GVX 210 or 420 or wildcat 5xxxx.
Most of them support a 15-pin VGA and a 3-pin
mini for shutter glasses and a TV output. do not know whether you can use two of the cards
to get dual screen support of OpenGL accel. But these cards are really cost, $1000 and up.

Hillxy