Looking for papers / explanation of advanced texturing

Hi folks,

I am currently looking for informations about advanced texturing methods like the new texturing methods within CATIA V5 where textures can be mapped onto complex surfaces with a single click. I am not looking for projective planar or triplanar texturing, instead the texturing follows the surface over hard edges. Sorry for bad explanation …

Thanx for any hint

Matthias

Hughes Hoppe has some interesting and useful papers about mesh parameterization and texture mapping.

http://research.microsoft.com/~hoppe/

Originally posted by Matthias:
[b]Hi folks,

I am currently looking for informations about advanced texturing methods like the new texturing methods within CATIA V5 where textures can be mapped onto complex surfaces with a single click. I am not looking for projective planar or triplanar texturing, instead the texturing follows the surface over hard edges. Sorry for bad explanation …

Thanx for any hint

Matthias[/b]
Oh really? Show a screenshot of what it can do because I have no idea what CATIA V5 is. Sounds like a boring CAD modelling program to me. :slight_smile:

Ok, sounds like he’s asking about mapping over surfaces that are generated, and not defined on the per-face basis. Now if you can parameterize the surface, preferably with S and T orthoganal, you can “easily” apply textures.
Unfortunately, not all such surfaces are easily parameterized, metaball generated surfaces for example. In such a situation, it may be wise to choose a mapping that is in object space, say a sphere mapping, cube mapping or planar mapping.

I hope this can somehow help, Im just trying to throw you a bone here :slight_smile:

“CATIA Version 5 is an integrated suite of Computer Aided Design (CAD), Computer Aided
Engineering (CAE), and Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM) applications for digital
product definition and simulation.”

Hmmm…sounds like a CAD program to me. :slight_smile: What does this product have to do with
texture mapping anyway? Really, show some screenshots of what it does.