PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL in Mac OS Xs Terminal

02-19-2002, 03:51 PM
Is it possible to program w/ OpenGL in Mac OS Xs Terminal?
Email: ajinfinityx@yahoo.com

OneSadCookie
02-20-2002, 11:43 AM
Of course.

I assume that's not what you really meant, though?

02-20-2002, 09:19 PM
Related to this topic, but a bit more specific: How would one go about creating a makefile with which to properly link and compile OpenGL programs from the OS X terminal? I am familiar with makefiles on UNIX, but getting them to work on the Mac has been futile. Any advice would be appreciated.

email: papasmurf215@yahoo.com

OneSadCookie
02-26-2002, 06:11 PM
The compiler is called cc rather than gcc or anything else. It is only installed when the developer tools are installed.

The files <GL/gl.h>, <GL/glu.h> and <GL/glext.h> are replaced by <OpenGL/gl.h>, <OpenGL/glu.h> and <OpenGL/glext.h>. This is "Framework include" syntax. The actual files are in /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers/ . If you're doing a large port, it may be easiest to make symbolic links to these in /usr/local/include/GL/ ...

<GL/glut.h> is replaced by <GLUT/glut.h>, again a framework include.

Rather than the -lGL -lGLU you're used to, you need -framework OpenGL

Rather than -lglut, you need -framework GLUT -framework Cocoa

GLUT.framework tries to set the cwd to the Resources folder inside your application bundle. I've had problems running un-bundled GLUT apps in the past, although I think this has been fixed since 10.1

make is in fact GNU make.

HTH

03-11-2002, 11:18 AM
The easiest way to make OS X compile standard OpenGL source files is to write:
"sudo ln /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers/ /usr/local/include/GL"

This should create a symlink (alias) to the OpenGL framework folder. You should now be able to compile OpenGL code written with or without the Framework doctrine in mind.