Newbie question on Mac OS X/OpenGL updates

The Mac OS X 10.2.3 and 10.2.4 updates claim to have added OpenGL 1.4 support as well as support for additional OpenGL extensions. I have made the updates but when I checked the gl.h and glext.h header files, they do not reflect the upgrade. Why? Am I supposed to download an OpenGL Developer SDK upgrade? Also, will my graphics chip (Radeon 9000) support these new extensions. Will I have to download new video drivers? Or are the extensions support for graphics chips fixed by design?

BTW, I am using the Frameworks versions of OpenGL since the X11 versions are lacking support for many extensions.

The headers are updated with the developer tools, not with the operating system. If you don’t have the latest dev tools, get them from connect.apple.com (free online membership required).

The OpenGL version/extensions supported depend both on the hardware and on the drivers. On Mac OS X, the drivers are updated along with the operating system.

If you go to About OpenGL for OS X, you’ll find a list of the extensions that are supported on Mac OS X, and what combination of video card/OS version you need to have to get them.

The Radeon 9000 can’t support OpenGL 1.4, but 10.2.3 and 10.2.4 do add some new extensions for that card.

The Radeon 9500+ (95, 96, 97, 98) and the GeForceFX are the first consumer graphics cards to be able to support OpenGL 1.4.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.