Macromedia Director and Open Gl

I found an extra for director that adds Open Gl support. I know how to use director. Is this a good way to develop a 3d game for a mac(through director)? I would like to learn as little new code as possible! Can you think of any extra problems I might encounter by taking this route?

That depends, how much code do you know?

( Take note: I’ve never used Director and I’m assuming that it’s an art program )

Originally posted by Kainsin:
[b]That depends, how much code do you know?

( Take note: I’ve never used Director and I’m assuming that it’s an art program )[/b]

Director is a program for creating interactive content like shockwave. I am good at director and can make excellent 2d games with it .The extra adds 3d into director but I dont know any opengl code (yet).

Hmm…well since I’ve never used Director I can’t really say if it’s a good way to make a 3D game or not. I guess you’ll just have to try it out and see. :slight_smile:

–Kainsin

Yeah give it a go, if you are good at director and are used to programming in a gaming style in it. the transition to 3d shouldn’t be too hard as many of the ohysical rules still stand… Which extra are you talking about?

RavWare OpenGL Xtra. It’s at http://www.ravware.com/xtras.htm

I will give it a try as you suggest. Thanks.

Looks quite good for providing 3d on the web etc. Have to see how it works in practice though! good luck

Looks like I wont need the extra after all.
Director 8.5 lets you author complete 3D worlds and games using the Lingo programming language and opengl. I will just convince my college to upgrade. Love the way some things just work out!

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.