Why use GLUT?

I’m a newbie at OpenGL programming so pardon any ignorance. I’m developing in OSX, and all the tutorials I’ve seen use GLUT. Why? I mean I would like to use the AppKit Frameworks provided through the Cocoa windowing API. Is it possible in conjunction? Or should I not be using GLUT if that’s what I want to do?

Originally posted by gfxgeek:
I’m a newbie at OpenGL programming so pardon any ignorance. I’m developing in OSX, and all the tutorials I’ve seen use GLUT. Why? I mean I would like to use the AppKit Frameworks provided through the Cocoa windowing API. Is it possible in conjunction? Or should I not be using GLUT if that’s what I want to do?

You should not use GLUT if you use AppKit, theres no interest of using GLUT anyway if youre confortable with another framework or you dont want to write crossplatform code.

Yeah I will only be developing for OSX and need access to the AppKit frameworks. Problem is, I can’t find any tutorials on programming opengl on OSX that doesn’t use GLUT

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.