How should I get started?

Hello all,
Please forgive the fact that I am newbie to OpenGL programming (though not to programming in general). I would like to know how you think I should get started with developing OpenGL on Mac OS X.2. I have read all of apple’s documentation (which is rather limited), and I’m starting to get a handle on things, but I still have some questions. First and most important, how can I go about devloping in the most gasp portable manner (i.e. not depending on Apple’s extensions)? I would like my friends to be able to port to their preferred unices (irix, linux, the bsds …). Also, what books would you reccomend I get?
Thanks for your time (and patience!),
Harold Martin
cocoadev TA earthlink TOD net

Most of this is already covered on iDevGames or in the iDevGames FAQ .

For cross-platform portability, use either GLUT or SDL, and stay away from any extensions called APPLE_something.

The Red Book is probably all you’ll need to begin. There is an older edition (still all relevant but no longer a 100% complete reference) available for free on the web, or you can buy the latest version from Amazon or your favorite bookstore.

One note, everyone should look at the new APPLE extensions as they provide one of the fastest paths to get data to OpenGL. You can find the extensions in the OpenGL extensions guide at <http://developer.apple.com/opengl&gt;.

Originally posted by OneSadCookie:
[b]Most of this is already covered on iDevGames or in the iDevGames FAQ .

For cross-platform portability, use either GLUT or SDL, and stay away from any extensions called APPLE_something.

The Red Book is probably all you’ll need to begin. There is an older edition (still all relevant but no longer a 100% complete reference) available for free on the web, or you can buy the latest version from Amazon or your favorite bookstore.[/b]

If you are interested in a more high level of programming you can use Gizmo3D. It runs on Win32, Irix, Linux and Mac OS X.
www.tooltech-software.com

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.