Rookie under Linux! ;)

Hello dudes!
i have just installed my mandrake 8.0 distribution and i am really new to the Linux world and my plans are to get rid of windows as soon as possible concerning my project -> http://www.orkysquad.org thus what i need is now a cool development environment & hardware accelerated OpenGL working under Linux and of course a couple of advices!
So as i said i’ve just installed the M8.0 & unfortunately it seems that apps using accelerated GL like GLTron & TuxRacer are not working (loading & disappearing without a word! i’ve tried to install latest Nvidia rpms for xfree 4.0 but it doesn’t seem to work either!
Concerning the IDE now, there are Vi & Emacs available but i really need a complete IDE which can manage my project and generate makefiles just like VC & old Borland4.x,
i’ve heard that sourceForge was a cool IDE… what do ya think?
Another question is how to compile my Linux kernel under X to perfectly match my hardware (perhaps it is bcoz of this my ultrasound & GL are not working…)
how can i test mesa examples (and are they accelerated or only software?)

thanks!

Originally posted by Ozzy:
Hello dudes!
So as i said i’ve just installed the M8.0 & unfortunately it seems that apps using accelerated GL like GLTron & TuxRacer are not working (loading & disappearing without a word! i’ve tried to install latest Nvidia rpms for xfree 4.0 but it doesn’t seem to work either!

If you’re using KDE as your main window manager, then you’ll most probably have the KDE session manager logging you in. This is bugged in MD8 and causes GL to fail.

You’ll need to change to the Gnome session manager. Can’t remember how to do this offhand, but it requires you to get your hands dirty.

Concerning the IDE now, there are Vi & Emacs available but i really need a complete IDE which can manage my project and generate makefiles just like VC & old Borland4.x,

You won’t find anything like VC++, Borland for Linux. Although there is Kylix, but I think that that’s just for Delphi under Linux.

Anyway, VC++ is a RAD IDE and isn’t really suited to games development. Yo can buy CodeWarrior though.

Dunno about SurceForge, but I have not found a good enough IDE myself and have ended up using emacs.

KDevelop is favoured by KDE developers, but I don’t like it.

There is an IDE that is similar to the old style text mode editors (TurboC++, etc). Never used it though. I it’s called RHIDE.

[b]
Another question is how to compile my Linux kernel under X to perfectly match my hardware (perhaps it is bcoz of this my ultrasound & GL are not working…)

thanks! [/b]

Install the source and read the manual. Fun!

Luke.

[b]Hello dudes!
i have just installed my mandrake 8.0 distribution and i am really new to the Linux world and my plans are to get rid of windows as soon as possible concerning my project -> http://www.orkysquad.org thus what i need is now a cool development environment & hardware accelerated OpenGL working under Linux and of course a couple of advices!

There is problem with nvidia and kde login.
Use either gnome login manager or console login.

check more info mandrake sides or update to 8.1 beta3 (it works).

There are some IDE’s you can check.
Kdevelop
Anjuta
Kdestudio
gIDE

I think all of them can make makefiles and use some kind of project management and debuging.

There are some more IDE .

I do not think it’s your soundcard.
If you want to compile kernel there are lot of tutorials and howto’s in net about that.

If you have gears example
start it using gears & so you can see what error messages are printed.

Examples should be using acceleration if it is available.

thanks! [/b]

;Jackz

Thanks for your replies guys!
i’ve already tested Rhide editor and i think it really rocks for what i am currently doing!
So now, i would like to get more advices from you!
For my project i am using OpenGL for display & libMikMod for sound output!! Moreover i have prepared all the stuff for a cool & nice port to other systems and what i need are entries/connections to OpenGL under Linux…
So perhaps you’ll think i am lazy!! but is it possible to launch an OpenGL application from the Linux console?? i’ve noticed that OpenGL has been integrated to the new Linux kernel thus in other words i was wondering if it was possible to get fullscreen apps using GL without X windows… =
Perhaps should i use mesa or something to get the entry points??

thanks

So as i said i’ve just installed the M8.0 & unfortunately it seems that apps using accelerated GL like GLTron & TuxRacer are not working (loading & disappearing without a word!

Ozzy:

I had the same problem! Try starting the applications from a terminal window. When I did that, I could see the error messages on why things were not working.

Well, my problem for these apps was only Mesa and SDL packages not installed!!
for hardware acceleration with Nvidia u have to update the kernel yourself! there is a paper about this at http://www.littlewhitedog.com

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.