NVIDIA drivers problem

I have a Geforce 2 MX and until now it works fine with the 3123 version of drivers,but with the late 4191 version the X server crashes sayng something about no screens found.I downloaded the drivers for Mdk 9.0 and followed the Readme step by step.What could be wrong?

I haven’t installed 41.xx drivers, but in 40.xx the kernel module’s name has changed from “NVdriver” to “nvidia”.

Make sure the module is loaded or X won’t start.

Julien.

Of course, I have in XF86Config-4 at the “Device” section, “driver” “nvidia”.Something else is wrong.

He means the kernel driver, which is specified in /etc/modules.conf

I had the “no screens” error message because the GLX module was failing to load. Are there any error messages in your XFree86.log file?

I had this message too… cant dircover why…

All NVdriver reference must be changed to nvidia.

I had the same problem on mandrake.

The rpm fixe modules.conf, but did not fix modules.devfs (I think this is the wrong extension). Anyway, just do ls /etc/modules.* and look in all the files to make sure all the reference to NVdriver are set to nvidia.

Gorg: RPM had already done that for me.

I found that the reason for the “no screens” error message was that the GLX extension was failing to load for the following reason (from the NVIDIA README):

"Q: When I start X it fails and my XFree86 log file contains:

(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
    (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o
    No symbols found in this module
    (EE) Failed to load /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o
    (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
    (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (loader failed, 256)
    (EE) No drivers available.

A: The nvidia_drv.o X driver has been stripped of needed symbols;
some versions of rpm (wrongly) strip object files while installing.
You should probably upgrade your version of rpm. Or, you can install
the NVIDIA_GLX package from tar file."

Installing from the source fixed this particular problem.

Will try one more time… just re -installed my system…(the RPMs also destroied my RPM database… I could not install or uninstall any RPM after installing NVIDIA drivers)

This time will try the source …but you mean the .tar.gz or the rpm source… ?

[This message has been edited by OldMan (edited 12-12-2002).]

The install from the .tar.gz source, which was pretty easy.

Did it… but I downgraded to RedHat7.3… no bug there, only at 8.0

Originally posted by OldMan:
Did it… but I downgraded to RedHat7.3… no bug there, only at 8.0

<troll>
Gentoo is the way to go
</troll>

Julien.

tarball on RH8 worked perfectly fine here…

Finally I made them work.Here’s what I done:
I installed NVIDIA_kernel and NVIDIA_GLX by rpm and most IMPORTANT I removed every XFREE86.*.log.

Originally posted by Zork:
Finally I made them work.Here’s what I done:
I installed NVIDIA_kernel and NVIDIA_GLX by rpm and most IMPORTANT I removed every XFREE86.*.log.

Why remove the logs?

Don’t know why, but I have read in a discution forum about this problem and after I did it, it solved my problems.
c’a.

I upgraded from the 31.23s to the 41.09s on RH8 succesfully. Here is how I did it, hopefully it’ll work for you as well.

In /etc/inittab, change this

id:5:initdefault:

to this

id:3:initdefault:

Reboot.

Rebuild yourself rpm’s for your specific machine.

rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.src.rpm

rpm -ivf --force /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.i386.rpm

rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.src.rpm

rpm -ivf --force /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i386.rpm

Change /etc/inittab back to what it originally was.

Reboot.

You could probably do it without the 2 reboots by shutting down X and setting it not to respawn. Installing drivers. Then restarting X.

Originally posted by PK:
[b]
In /etc/inittab, change this

[quote]

id:5:initdefault:

to this

id:3:initdefault:

Reboot.

Reboot.
[/b][/QUOTE]

Hey, we are not on windoze.
init 3 and init 5 do the trick.
You don’t need to change your default runlevel. And btw since the first release of the closed source drivers I never had any problems installing them when rebuilding the rpms.

Originally posted by satan:

Hey, we are not on windoze.
init 3 and init 5 do the trick.
You don’t need to change your default runlevel.

Doh!!! I didn’t even think about that!!!

I have a Dell 340 ith the NVIDIA 4900 and have tried to follow all the comments here as well as NVIDIAs for this upgrad, but have come up lacking.

I got no errors with the rpms and selected the right ones by using the NVchooser, but when I recompile and try to run my graphics program I get:

"GLUT: fatal error in PROGRAM NAME) visual with necessary capabilities not found.

When I run glxinfo i get couldn’t find RGBGLX visual.

I am relatively novice to linux moving this software from a flight simulator and an SGI machine to this Dell, but it sounds like a very basic problem I may be missing.

Any ideas? I hate to have to reinstall RedHat 8.0 again- I had to do this once before to get my flat panel drivers to work and do not look forward to it.

BTW, when I installed it gave me a warning that it was installing over Mesa- only warning I saw.