NVIDIA Latest Drivers! Eh?

Hi there

I have problem with the l;atest linux drivers from NVIDIA. Under FC 5, the kerenl module cannot be loaded. The error message reports that the build and the kerenl are different in gcc and such things … i dunno, why NVIDIA screwed it up and now they are just like ATI? Which drivers that work under Linux FC 5 without updating anything?

Thanks.

As said on the nvidia linux driver page, the appropriate forum is : http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

Unfortuantely you cannot refer ppl to post their questions on that form, because you cannot expect them to have non free email accounst, which is a requirement for registration on the nvnew forums.

Anyway, my problem is straightforward and so is the answer, I guess.

Linux FC 5, kernel 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 (86_64) runnoin on AMD Athlon 64 machine

NVIDIA driver: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8762-pkg2

Get error: cannot load module nvidia.ko …blablabla

What’s the problem dudes? Is NVIDIA now jelous of ATI they want to make ****ed up drivers?

How???

Most likely you have SELinux enabled. As such you need to do the following as either root or using sudo if you have the privilege.

chcon -t texrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.1.0.8762
chcon -t texrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
chcon -t texrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.1.0.8762
chcon -t texrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1.0.8762
chcon -t texrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.8762
chcon -t texrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.8762

It is not necessary to patch or download a pre-created driver. You will need to do this each time you update the nvidia drivers to a different version. I believe you will also need to do it if you reinstall the same version drivers - overwriting them.

If you run the dmesg command you will see selinux preventing the various libraries from being used. If you still have problems, run dmesg and see what is being blocked then use the same chcon command to allow it.

Hope that helps

SELinux is disabled.

It’s something has to do with the kernel or the driver itself. I think Linux is not built by software engineers, like Windows, it’s a bunch of incompatible lines from the open source community.

Anyway I should uninstall it and keep my amazin, ehm, g OS Windows XP! :smiley:

Go ahead. We won’t stop you…

But don’t whine when something doesn’t work in Windows. Oh, I forgot, you needn’t whine about it, you can go directly to all those software engineers, I’m sure they’ll help you with all the problems you’ll have :smiley:

(If you find sarcasm, you can keep it :stuck_out_tongue: )

You also need to install the pkgconfig and xorg-x11-server-sdk rpms which can be installed through the Add/Remove Programs program which is located in the Start/Fedora menu under System.

Originally posted by <glfreak>:
[b] Unfortuantely you cannot refer ppl to post their questions on that form, because you cannot expect them to have non free email accounst, which is a requirement for registration on the nvnew forums.

Anyway, my problem is straightforward and so is the answer, I guess.

Linux FC 5, kernel 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 (86_64) runnoin on AMD Athlon 64 machine

NVIDIA driver: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8762-pkg2

Get error: cannot load module nvidia.ko …blablabla

What’s the problem dudes? Is NVIDIA now jelous of ATI they want to make ****ed up drivers? [/b]
This is no way how to ask an question. You stripped all the relevant info about the error.
What is “…blablabla”. suppose to mean?

Please copy and paste the WHOLE error message and as well the version of your gcc compiler (you can get the version by executing ‘gcc --version’).

From what you posted originally it seems that - i m guessing here - you are running a kernel that was compiled with a different version of gcc, than the one nvidia installer is trying to use to compile the kernel module. In that case you will simply need to install a different version of gcc or to recompile the kernel with your current version of gcc.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.