Compiling OpenGL Apps

I just upgraded my gentoo system and now if I want to compile any apps that require the OpenGL libs it fails. I have to do opengl-update xfree compile the app then do opengl-update nvidia to change it back to the nvidia drivers. I did not have to do this before I ran the update. How can I fix this?

Thanks

nuke

This is probably fixable, what specific compile errors are you getting when you can’t compile after the NVIDIA driver install?

Sounds like a Gentoo specific question. The Gentoo discussion forums are the best on the web. Bar none.

Make sure that you have the nVidia drivers installed:

emerge -pv nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel

If you don’t have them installed then install them.

emerge nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel

opengl-update nvidia

I imagine that you are either not linking or including correctly. Make sure you use -I/usr/X11R6/include and -L/usr/X11R6/lib when you invoke gcc.

The other problem may be that you are not actually using the nVidia drivers. What does glxinfo say?

Also make sure that you use the same version of gcc to compile your kernel, XFree, and your drivers.

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head. It’d be better if you could actually post the error message that you are getting.

One of these days I’m gonna write an OpenGL install HOWTO and a development/compile HOWTO.

PK: you were right the problem was that I compiled my kernel, xfree and a few other things on an older version of gcc. Now that I have recompiled them its working now.

Thanks

nuke

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.