programs on Windows, and would like to
    get into OpenGL on Linux) on both Windows
    and Linux environments.

I wonder if that will work? I am new to
Linux OS and OpenGL APIs. So please provide
me your inputs, suggestions.

Thanks!

I highly recomend it!

I learned OpenGL using glut/OpenGL. I could compile the code on both linux and windows. The multi-platform development actually helped to find lots of bugs that would have gone unnoticed.

Go for it!

For distributions, I recomend Mandrake 8.2. If you get the pay-for version it has all the NVidia OpenGL drivers installed (otherwise you have to do it by hand after the OS install – no biggie really).

Good Luck.

Jamie

i recomend RedHat 7.3 (of course downloaded version since it’s free like in beer)
the driver installation is not that hard
and freshrpms offers apt for RH which makes it very easy to keep it updated

i use mandrake 8.0 and will install 8.2 this night. I hope it will be as good as the 8.0.

Debian is well known too to be the best linux distrib ! So a potatoe debian or mandrake or redhat is a good choice.

if you have a radeon see the other topics above, someone had a problem, it may have been resolved now.

good luck and welcome on Linux !

I use mandrake 8.2 its great. It comes with KDevelop use that to code. Your going to have to goto Nvidia.com and down the nvidia drivers to make opengl work. READ THE DOCS!!! Also learn vi and make backup files of all the files they tell you to change. I use linux now more then I use windows(in fact im neaver on windows) its a great OS you’ll love it.

i see all the former win users want mandrake
so i am alone with my rh
but perhaps the problem is that i don’t use kde, c/c++ or any fancy system administration tools
and if you just need the console you don’t need all this mandrake ore suse stuff
but as you see ttya there should be no prob in finding a suitable distro just take a look at http://www.linuxiso.org/

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.