How do I program OpenGL under Linux

I have Mandrake Linux 7.2, I know some C/C++ and OpenGL but I have no clue where to start where linux is concerned. Can anyone recommend some good tutorials on the web?

for opengl tutorials : http://nehe.gamedev.net/

for Mesa(opengl for linux) : http://www.mesa3d.org/

Okay, maybe I should be asking if there is a development environement like VC++ 6.0 under Linux. If there is, what’s it’s name, where do I get it and how do I use it? If not how do I use gcc/g++, and how do I use it with OpenGL? I have no experience with using a command line compiler.

I checked out NeHe but they only had something for Solaris. Can it be used for Linux as well?

I think that the two most popular IDEs is kdevelop and anjuta. You should already have kdevelop if you are using KDE and anjuta can you find on anjuta.org or similar. The traditional way of developing under Unix/Linux is by using vi (vim) or emacs and makefiles. This is very flexible and many command line tools are available.

… and if you think kdevelop is far too fat (like me ;-), then you should use “kate” and kde. it’s quite small, but very comfortable too.
of course it’s not as powerful as (x)emacs, but nice anyways…

Originally posted by Furrage:
[b]Okay, maybe I should be asking if there is a development environement like VC++ 6.0 under Linux. If there is, what’s it’s name, where do I get it and how do I use it? If not how do I use gcc/g++, and how do I use it with OpenGL? I have no experience with using a command line compiler.

I checked out NeHe but they only had something for Solaris. Can it be used for Linux as well?[/b]

First try to learn how to use command line compiler, it is not hard.
Look information from net or buy Beginning Linux Programming.

If you look tutorial 2 at nehe’s you find at bottom

• DOWNLOAD Linux Code For This Lesson. ( Conversion by Richard Campbell )

Get that and open it.
There is makefile and C code.

Thanks much. That was very helpful.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.