Mesa Newbie

Hi! I’m kinda new in C graphics programming in Linux and I bumped into Mesa. I must admit I’m new in linux-based programming and I don’t seem to understand some of the readme’s. Right now, I’m using the default settings of Red Hat Linux 7.3. Anyone who could explain a step-by-step process (from installing drivers, libraries, etc to running them) for me to compile C programs intended for graphics/animation?

I really need help since I don’t wanna mess up my newly installed OS. Just in case you’re wondering why I use RH linux 7.3, well that’s the version we’re required to use so I guess changing it to newer versions to easily install stuffs wouldn’t be an option.

Any help would be very much appreciated. :slight_smile:

How about stopping by the Mesa site first? (http://www.mesa3d.org/)
There you should be able to find anything you need to install it.

After you’ve installed it, have a look at any tutorials that may be included.
Otherwise, check out NeHe for an introduction. (http://nehe.gamedev.net/)
Also check out the NeHeGL basecode for how to setup an OGL window without using GLUT.

Originally posted by sh3:
…I really need help since I don’t wanna mess up my newly installed OS. :slight_smile:
then why are you running linux :wink: just kidding…

as far as getting mesa setup, it’s as simple as installing the package via rpm.

box@root ~ # rpm -ivh [mesa package]

the installation will automatically use mesa’s implementation of opengl. at that point, just write your program.

box@user ~ $ g++ -o program_name your_code.cpp -lGL -lGLU

if you’re not familiar with the line above, it means have g++ compile your ‘your_code.cpp’ to produce program_name. since your program will use opengl, you want to have your linker use opengl [GL] and opengl utility [GLU]. the lowercase ‘L’ in front of GL and GLU mean to pass to the linker. if your programs use glut, also append ‘-lglut’. yes - you guessed it. it means pass glut to the linker. if your system doesn’t already have glut [which it should], simply install glut via rpm.

hope that helps
:regards:
[

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.