Can't install GLUT under RedHat 8.0

Has anyone here sucessfully installed GLUT under RedHat 8.0? I have tried for the last two hours and can’t get it to work. But I am a beginner, so that may not mean much…

The GLUT distribution has a seperate folder with instructions and files for installing under linux. I have followed those directions and can’t figure out what is going wrong.

I get to the part where I run “make” in the /lib/glut directory. The instructions say it should create a shared library called “libglut.so.3.7,” however it does not seem to create this file. I have tried the “if you have problems” suggestions in the file but it still wont work.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it possible I am missing some libraries or something?

Thanks

Jeff

I download the Mesa and the Mesa-demos files from the Mesa web page. Unpack the 2 files in a folder (both in the same directory by default) and then type

cp Makefile.x11 Makefile

make linux

this should create all the files you need (gl,glu and glut libraries) then you must copy this libraries in the folders where they belong (there are a page that can help you in the Mesa site).

try it. by.

thanks, that worked.

Jeff

Yes, opengl via the mesa version of openGL in built into the xfree86 video drivers.

You now only write as if you where using normal gl, unless you want to use mesa functions.
the standard gl and glu library’s are already installed on the system.

For glut download the RedHat glut RPM’s, which there are two, runtime and dev.
Should be able to run, after installing them.
(Don’t know if a reboot is needed.)

No need to build glut for RedHat, unless you want to modify the glut bin’s in some way.

Originally posted by Domer:
[b]Has anyone here sucessfully installed GLUT under RedHat 8.0? I have tried for the last two hours and can’t get it to work. But I am a beginner, so that may not mean much…

The GLUT distribution has a seperate folder with instructions and files for installing under linux. I have followed those directions and can’t figure out what is going wrong.

I get to the part where I run “make” in the /lib/glut directory. The instructions say it should create a shared library called “libglut.so.3.7,” however it does not seem to create this file. I have tried the “if you have problems” suggestions in the file but it still wont work.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it possible I am missing some libraries or something?

Thanks

Jeff[/b]

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.