32-bit OpenGL on 64-bit Linux

Just a general inquiry - has anyone had any experience with running 32-bit OpenGL apps on 64-bit Linux? I have alternately read that it can work and that it cannot.

Well it depends on the app. If it makes any assumptions on the machine word size then it might not work. On the oter hand apps written with portability in mind, (as they should be written) should work fine.

I assume you mean running 32-bit binaries on a 64-bit system with 64-bit XFree86 / DRI driver. In that case, it depends on the driver. Some of the driver kernel modules have some…eh…word-size portability issues. The problem is that some of the interfaces were defined such that both the user-mode and the kernel-mode parts have to agree on the size of a word. Now, lots of drivers have this problem, but most of those drivers have a thunking layer implemented to fix things up. I don’t know of any DRI drivers that have an explicit thunking layer implemented.

I guess the best bet is to try it. If it doesn’t work with your driver of choice, report it as a bug to the driver vendor. Supporting mixed 32-bit / 64-bit environments is fairly new territory for the GL drivers.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.