/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lglut

I have installed Mesa-6.0 and install glut-3.7-8.i386.rpm using rpm. However, when I compile my code, I got the below error:

gcc -I/usr/X11R6/include/ -o myWindow -L/usr/X11R6/lXmu -lGL -lGLU -lm -lglut
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lglut
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [myWindow] Error 1

Based on previous thread, I did ls /usr/lib/libglut* and I have the following files:
/usr/lib/libglut.so.3 /usr/lib/libglut.so.3.7

Again, I did echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, I got the below message:
/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib/

After I re-complie my code, the same error re-appears. Can anyone advise what to do and what can be done next.

Thank you.

You should try to compile with this:

gcc -I/usr/X11R6/include/ -o myWindow -L/usr/X11R6/lXmu -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lGL -lGLU -lm -lglut

Originally posted by lulf:
[b]You should try to compile with this:

gcc -I/usr/X11R6/include/ -o myWindow -L/usr/X11R6/lXmu -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lGL -lGLU -lm -lglut[/b]

The same error still persists.

Joseph:

I have pretty much the exact same problem as you at the moment.

Im trying to compile some OpenSG tutorial examples with the makefile that comes with it, which also tries to include ‘-lglut’ and doesnt find it. And i also have /usr/lib/libglut.so.3.

If you come up with the solution please post it here.

Ok, i used the whole path /usr/lib/libglut.so.3 instead of just -lglut and it works… but if i have /usr/lib in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH it should work either way shouldnt it?

Originally posted by Dingo Egret:
[b]Ok, i used the whole path /usr/lib/libglut.so.3 instead of just -lglut and it works… but if i have /usr/lib in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH it should work either way shouldnt it?

[/b]

Thanks…now it can compile. However, the below error come up:
gcc -I/usr/X11R6/include/ -o myWindow -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib/libglut.so.3
myWindow.o -lGL -lGLU -lX11 -lXmu -lXi -lXext -lm
myWindow.o: In function main': myWindow.o(.text+0xa5): undefined reference to glutInit’
myWindow.o(.text+0xb2): undefined reference to glutInitDisplayMode' myWindow.o(.text+0xc7): undefined reference to glutInitWindowSize’
myWindow.o(.text+0xd9): undefined reference to glutInitWindowPosition' myWindow.o(.text+0xe9): undefined reference to glutCreateWindow’
myWindow.o(.text+0xf9): undefined reference to glutDisplayFunc' myWindow.o(.text+0x109): undefined reference to glutMouseFunc’
myWindow.o(.text+0x116): undefined reference to `glutMainLoop’
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [myWindow] Error 1

Any idea how to solve this undefined reference to ‘***’?

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.