Prob getting OpenGL working under Mandrake Linux 8.1

I’ve been having a a real problem getting OpenGL working under Mandrake Linux 8.1.

My system: AMD K6-2 400MHz (ALiChipset on MB)
132 MB RAM
nVidia TNT2 Mach64 AGP video (32MB RAM)
Running Kernel 2.4.8
Running XFree86 4 (4.01??, the one which comes with Mandrake 8.1 anyway)
I’m currently running the nVidia drivers version 1.0-1512. Both the kernel and the GLX driver are installed.

I tried downloading the nVidia 1.0-1541 drivers (source for the kernel module and the binary for the GLX module) but I can’t get either the tarballs or RPMs installed. I get error messages each time I try to use the tar or rpm commands on the packages. (I should note that I downloaded them using Windows and transfered them using a shared common physical hard drive.)

I’ve edited the XF86Config-4 file to remove the references to loading DRI like it says in the PDF reference for the nVidia drivers as well as altering the DRI reference in the priorities file. I’ve also modified the XF86Config-4 file to include reference to loading AGPGART AGP support.

When I try to launch an OpenGL game, I get either a drop to the text login or a “caught code 11” error message, or just plain nothing.

I’m out of soulutions. Can anyone help???

if i remember correctly, this is usually cause by having non-nvidia gl libraries somewhere on your hard drive. to fix it, get rid of all the files called libGL*, and libGLX*, then reinstall the nvidia drivers.

the good news is, once you have done this once, you wont have to do it again if you are just upgrading to newer nvidia drivers…

also, make sure that the nvidia kernel module is getting loaded on startup, i think that x windows wont start at all if it isnt being loaded, so i dont think that is your problem. i have no idea how to do this in mandrake, since i have never used it before.

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

I think that the nvidia driver rpms is changing the name of any installed Mesa lib so that should not be the problem. Check this:

• You must have the kernel sources if you are installing from the nvidia source rpm
  • You have to have “Assign IRQ for VGA” set to yes in the BIOS settings. Same as for Windows95.

I ultimately got very frustrated and reinstalled the entire system. Now I can’t get XFree86 to run, I get an error saying that there are no valid screen setup. I alternately use xf86config or Mandrake’s XFdrake utlities to setup the XF86Config and XF86Config-4 files. I’ve tried switching back to XF86 3 but it does not help. I’ve also tried manually edition the configs with the vi editor. Still nothing.

I HAVE noted, by the way, that the NVIDIA_GLX & kernel drivers 1.0-1541 ARE on the Mandrake 8.1 Commericial software disk. I’ve upgraded my drivers to that.

How do I properly configure screens within the XF86Config files???

I remember a mandrake 8.1 test on a review:
it was not a good version !

So, we could then check out everything.

why a reinstallation perturbed all your system ? REinstall it from the start (not an update, because some corrupted files may stay).
when all works, just install nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx drivers by the sources, and not the rpm. and configure xf86-config-4 file.
This must be OK

Sorry, I forgot one thing that i remarked on your problem :

Mach64 ? Is it really that ? Normally, it’s the Xfree serveur for ATI cards based on this chip, not an nvidia one.

Sorry, I forgot one thing that i remarked on your problem :

Mach64 ? Is it really that ? Normally, it’s the Xfree serveur for ATI cards based on this chip, not an nvidia one.

The board is a one from Jaton: Jaton’s description is the B-32,

Its a TNT2 M64 chipset (M64 is where I get Mach 64, sorry). It’s 32 MB of RAM and and AGP bus. It’s definitly a nVidia product not an ATI. I purposely dumped an ATI card for this board.

When you installed the drivers did it placed some documentation in /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/. Compare your XF86Config file with their sample. I also think that it was some problem with Ali chipsets and TNT.

I don’t believe I have one othe effected ALi chipsets on my Motherboard.

I have also problem installing nvidia drivers in Mandrake 8.1.

I downloaded the SRPMs.
I try to rebuild the kernel:
rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel*
The errors I get are
#error Modules should never use kernel-headers system headers,
#error but headers from an appropriate kernel-source

I found the file where these two lines are (don’t remember filename) and the file had just these two lines, nothing more.
Do you get the same errors?

Can someone explain what does it try to say. Do I have to install some libraries first?

When I first time installed the drivers it installed ok. Then I had installed first glu libraries and maybe some other libs too (can’t remember).
After I re-installed the whole MD8.1 I can’t install NVIDIA drivers. I haven’t yet tried anything to solve this.

Originally posted by ap:
[b]I have also problem installing nvidia drivers in Mandrake 8.1.

I downloaded the SRPMs.
I try to rebuild the kernel:
rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel*
The errors I get are
#error Modules should never use kernel-headers system headers,
#error but headers from an appropriate kernel-source

I found the file where these two lines are (don’t remember filename) and the file had just these two lines, nothing more.
Do you get the same errors?

Can someone explain what does it try to say. Do I have to install some libraries first?

When I first time installed the drivers it installed ok. Then I had installed first glu libraries and maybe some other libs too (can’t remember).
After I re-installed the whole MD8.1 I can’t install NVIDIA drivers. I haven’t yet tried anything to solve this.[/b]

You need to install kernel-source rpm.
Different kernels use differend files so if you do not have any source files installed those default warning files (*.h) are there.

Make sure that you install same kernel source than your kernel is.
2.4-* something. it’s kernel – version if I remember right

Try installing the “alien” package. It’s a set of files for converting the headers of non-mandrake releasses to be compatible with their rpm distribution. Also install the rpm development packages, which enable the --rebuild option.

Also, the Nvidia 1.0-1541 drivers are actually on the CDROMS, on disk 4 (Commercial applications disk 1). They are in a sub-directory called NVIDIA. Mount the CDROM drive, and then copy the files to a place where you can install them from using the cp command [syntax: cp <source-directory/file> <destination-directory/file>, e.q. cp /mnt/cdrom/NVIDIA/xyzdriver-1.0-blahblah /root/Stuff/xyzdriver-1.0-blahblah].

Then run the installation commands as suggested by Nvidia’s pdf or readme file that is found on their website (I strongly recommend downloading the pdf).

jackz: I should have readnvidia installation guide better. that was written there too

But I couldn’t find kernel sources rpm. just binaries.

But fortunately I found nvidia driver binary rpms for MD8.1 in www.mandrakeuser.org -> downloads. They are also right there. (I don’t have the distribution CDs)

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.