Building 3D application using OpenGL under Linux Cluster (MPICH , Redhat)

Hi all,

I have been building a 2D map application in Linux Cluster(MPICH, RedHat 6.2) using Xlib.
In our application, the MPI processes can draw into Monitor of frontend machine directly using Xlib functions. To obtain this, the master process has to broadcast its x window handle (ID, (ex: Window win) to all the slave process, these will use this handle to draw into.
I do not know If I could use OpenGl functions as Xlib function in this way.

I am very great to hear your guides (idea).
Thank you.

Yes, I think that you can do the same with OpenGL. It will be an indirect rendering OpenGL on top of Xlib so the speed should be the same. Here is a PDF with information http://toolbox.sgi.com/linux/documents/OpenGL/GLXprotocol.pdf.gz

As an alternative can you use a machine with 3D hardware and send the generated data to it for rendering.

Hi,

I am having with glXMakeCurrent. In MPI Slave processes I use glXMakeCurrent but the main window is destroyed by master process. I do not know If there is any glX function to stop effect of glXMakeCurrent whenever I quit from slave MPI slave processes.

Please help me!

Yes, call glXMakeCurrent a second time. From the man page:

" To release the current context without assigning a new one, call glXMakeCurrent with drawable set None and ctx set to NULL"

Hi,

Thank Mr. Zico, Your guides is very useful for me.

I do not know how to obtain specification of grid file format of Surfer (Golden Software).
Could you show me where I should visit to get.

Thanks!

Zico is not a real name. A former soccer star from Brazil was called so.
I do not know about the surfer file format but you can try google, dejanews or this page http://www.wotsit.org/

Hi “Mr. Zico”,

You are Brazilian, aren’t you?.
I am 24 years old and I have no oppotunity to see white Pele when he was still playing.

Could you tell me where I should visit to know how OpenGL render over a network.
Thanks

I am not Brazilian but a fan of their soccer.
The only resoutce I know of about OpenGL rendering over a network is the above mentioned PDF.

well… I am Brazilian… and in fact I am also working in a parallel engine to run in a Cluster of RH 7.2. We should keep in touch…There may be some experiences to exchange.

Originally posted by OldMan:
well… I am Brazilian… and in fact I am also working in a parallel engine to run in a Cluster of RH 7.2. We should keep in touch…There may be some experiences to exchange.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.