radeon and speed

Hello,

I purchased an radeon 9600 pro value (I don’t know what that “value” means, maybe a slower version? It wasn’t very expensive) and it is running fine under windows (quake 2 timerefresh about 170-200 fps, tomb raider 6 running fluent), I managed to get it running under linux, but there it is incredibly slow… the OpenGL engine I am working on, running in “Old” mode (OpenGL 1.1 only), renders about 400 fps on my gf fx 5700, with the radeon, its only about 17. Any idea what might cause this? I guess there has to be a fault somewhere?

Thanks
Jan

hm… tux racer is running fine. so the problem must be within my program, I guess?

Jan

Do you call glXIsDirect(…) and check if the ctx you created uses Direct Rendering? If not find another visual with glXChooseVisual/XGetVisualInfo.

I think I did… I will check it.

But I got an idea what is the reason for the slowness: Parts of the program make heavy use of display lists, and I remember reading that on radeon hardware, display lists rather slow things down (while on nvidia, they speed things up quite al lot), but I am not sure about this. can anyone confirm or negotiate this? It would mean that the program had to be reworked quite a lot to use vbo instead, but at least now I like my geforce card a litte more again :-).

Jan

today it uses mesa anyway (glinfo)… I did not change anything and yesterday glinfo said “Radeon” but now it says “Mesa”. weird… I think radeon and linux is not such a great combination!?

Originally posted by JanHH:
I think radeon and linux is not such a great combination!?
I disagree. It has been working fine for me, but I haven’t used it for that long. Make sure you completely remove Mesa since a lot of people here seems to have problems with having two libraries installed.

Radeon on linux is a definitive NO.

I have a Radeon IGP320 (it’s a laptop) and the only way to go is through some very experimental XFree86 DRI driver (read: a real pain to install!); the best it can do is 16bits depth, no full screen, but speed is OK (at least tuxracer runs moothly).

ATI says it cannot provide linux drivers because a laptop has customized LCD or other graphic options: so what kind of magic does their competitor (read: Nvidia) use to accomplish this nearly impossible task?

Uh, I almost forgot to post the relevant urls:

Hope it helps others.

Radeon on linux is a definitive NO.
I gather that what you meant to say is that radeon on laptops with linux is a definitive (?definate?) no.

Radeons AGP cards manufactured by ATI and–with some tricky–third party manufacturers, is certainly no problems.

Originally posted by <nico>:
[b]Radeon on linux is a definitive NO.

so what kind of magic does their competitor (read: Nvidia) use to accomplish this nearly impossible task?[/b]
They simply do not use DRI and the driver is a kernel module. It may be easier.

ATI’s way is not so bad. Developing drivers using DRI may have several XFREE dependencies. They seem to provide non free drivers, but let (and help ?) free drivers to be.

The 9600 is the model number of the Radeon card, the larger the number the newer the card.

ATI just released new official linux drivers for their 9000 series of cards. Go to ATI’s website to check it out.

Originally posted by JanHH:
[b]Hello,

I purchased an radeon 9600 pro value (I don’t know what that “value” means, maybe a slower version? It wasn’t very expensive) and it is running fine under windows (quake 2 timerefresh about 170-200 fps, tomb raider 6 running fluent), I managed to get it running under linux, but there it is incredibly slow… the OpenGL engine I am working on, running in “Old” mode (OpenGL 1.1 only), renders about 400 fps on my gf fx 5700, with the radeon, its only about 17. Any idea what might cause this? I guess there has to be a fault somewhere?

Thanks
Jan[/b]

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.