Newbie book selection help requested

[Not sure if this should go under beginners or linux programming, so I’m posting under both]

My situation: I’ve got degrees in math and cs, I’m confident with my C programming and I want to try some OpenGL stuff for fun. I’d like to do this on my linux box, I’ve had Debian installed for a little while but I’m no expert on the inner workings of X and my C programming in the non-MS world has been CLI so I haven’t done much GUI.

Basically, the tutorials I’ve found on the web just aren’t complete enough and most assume too much (mostly that I’m using a Microsoft OS). I’d like to get a book or two to get me going so I did some research and considered both ‘Programming OpenGL for the X Window System’ and the Red Book. Here’s where I need help:

Kilgard’s book is kind of old (1996) and I read that some of the examples may use deprecated features of GLX. Since I don’t know much about GLX I’d like to know if there are any online resources that can get me up to speed quick and if this book is still useful regardless.

So, any suggestions? Did I miss any other books that might be better in this situation? Thanks in advance for any help.

The Red Book and Blue Book and this
website (and the links it has) were all I needed to get going with OpenGL programming and Linux.

Good luck, have fun.

Originally posted by mj:
[b][Not sure if this should go under beginners or linux programming, so I’m posting under both]

My situation: I’ve got degrees in math and cs, I’m confident with my C programming and I want to try some OpenGL stuff for fun. I’d like to do this on my linux box, I’ve had Debian installed for a little while but I’m no expert on the inner workings of X and my C programming in the non-MS world has been CLI so I haven’t done much GUI.

Basically, the tutorials I’ve found on the web just aren’t complete enough and most assume too much (mostly that I’m using a Microsoft OS). I’d like to get a book or two to get me going so I did some research and considered both ‘Programming OpenGL for the X Window System’ and the Red Book. Here’s where I need help:

Kilgard’s book is kind of old (1996) and I read that some of the examples may use deprecated features of GLX. Since I don’t know much about GLX I’d like to know if there are any online resources that can get me up to speed quick and if this book is still useful regardless.

So, any suggestions? Did I miss any other books that might be better in this situation? Thanks in advance for any help.[/b]

For linux programming I must recomend the Green book, OpenGL programming in the XWindows environment. It’s much more concise for working in X. It covers setting up a rendering environment and putting up a window in the first couple of examples. Once that is done, it’s a lot easier to make use of the information in the Red and Blue books.

I know I’ve seen it for sale online in the same places I was looking for the Red.

-Marrcke

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.