GLSL over indirect GLX?

Er. Not sure this post belongs here - but there isn’t a “GLX” forum, and it’s not really a GLSL-in-itself question: I can’t see any opcode definitions in the glxproto.h I have for GLSL shader functionality. And it doesn’t look like they’re in the currently published gl.spec file either.

So I guess the answer is “no, that doesn’t work, at least not yet”. Sooo… is there an updated GLX coming, presumably defining protocol for the shiny new toys now that they’ve settled in?

There’s no GLX protocol defined for significant parts of OpenGL 2.1, including shader and vertex buffer object functionality, at present. Realistically the only people who are developing GLX implementations at this point are NVIDIA and Mesa/X.org (AFAIK AMD’s drivers use the X.org GLX, and I’d expect Apple’s implementation on OS X does as well though I’m less sure).

Neither NVIDIA nor Mesa have proposed protocol yet - someone from IBM was prototyping VBO GLX support in Mesa but I haven’t had any updates on that in a long time. All I can suggest is that you either lobby NVIDIA to support it, or join Mesa and develop the protocol yourself. I can help out a bit with details of allocating GLX opcodes and such, but don’t have time to do this myself.

Thanks for the response! I’ve now asked about it on the mesa3d-dev mailing list.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.