How do I even start on programming OpenGL on Linux?

If been desperately trying to program OpenGL on Linux, struggling with compiling the GLUT & learning from Windows eccentric OpenGL programming books.

Anyone here who can help me overcome this initial obstacle?

I really believe Linux is a good platform for Graphics prgramming. Rock on dudes!

What specifically, is your difficulty? Have you tried NeHe’s tutorials? Do you have the Red Book?

Chris

Probablly the best place to start is by downloading and installing Mesa. Even if you already have it on your machine, the dwnldable version comes with a pile of examples that are useful to look at. Once you’ve got those running, you’ll want to try getting your accelerated hardware working with it. That can be a lot trickier.
A good resource for GL in Linux is the Green Book, OpenGL Programming in the X Windows environment.

As the other have sugested download mesa and look at the examples, and as well read the red book all the exaples there are uesing non platform spicific gult code then just play around.

good luck

Thnx for the tips. I’m having difficulty in setting up the programming envirionment for OpenGL. Specifically i can’t seem to find the GL/gl.h files. And i’m using a windows eccentric book(can’t find any X OpenGL books in my area).
Another question is if the programs are accelerated?(GLX??).

$ locate gl.h

On most installs, it lives in
/usr/X11R6/include/GL

Originally posted by Devio:
Thnx for the tips. I’m having difficulty in setting up the programming envirionment for OpenGL. Specifically i can’t seem to find the GL/gl.h files. And i’m using a windows eccentric book(can’t find any X OpenGL books in my area).
Another question is if the programs are accelerated?(GLX??).

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.