PDA

View Full Version : viewport limitations ?

Anne-Gael
09-27-2000, 03:48 AM
Hi !
I've got a bug with linux : it sounds like the viewport (glViewport) can't be larger than the window. Does anyone confirm this limitation ?
It didn't happen with SGI.

Thanks in advance.

miq
09-27-2000, 07:56 AM
Hi Anne-Gael,

Originally posted by Anne-Gael:
Hi !
I've got a bug with linux : it sounds like the viewport (glViewport) can't be larger than the window. Does anyone confirm this limitation ?
It didn't happen with SGI.

How did you experience this limitation?
I changed my test programm to use a glViewport 100 pixels wider and higher than the window. The scene was cut off at the edge but worked as I would expect it to (that behavior could be false, since because I am new to OpenGL I do not know what should happen). Perhaps it is and Mesa-Limitation which does not occur on my box because I use the NVidia drivers for linux...

Hope this helps, otherwise explain your problems more in detail...

bxe Miq

skw|d
09-27-2000, 03:47 PM
You should check the OpenGL specs and see what they say about this. You should conform to the specs so that you can run on different hardware vendors.

/skw|d

Anne-Gael
09-27-2000, 11:01 PM
ok, OpenGL specs should always be checked.. I can read there is an implementation-dependant maximum for the dimensions.
I asked for a 1280*1280 viewport, and only got a 1280*1200 one : 1200 looks as a max..
I'll be able to verify only following days.

Thanks again.

skw|d
09-28-2000, 07:21 AM
It makes sense that there is a 1200 row limitation, for some hardware cards cannot go beyond 1600x1200. The driver might be limiting the size to match the size of the framebuffer in your hardware.

/skw|d