Has anyone develope opengl program with MPI?

i want to write some opengl program on cluster with MPI. can anyone give some suggestion or know some source code i can learn? thanks very much!!!

Hello,
what is it that you want to know? If you want to code in MPI then go to a MPI forum and/or read the MPI man pages
If you want to code in OpenGL, then what’s the problem?

I’ve coded an OPengl fluid dynamics simulation using MPI w/ opengl. it is no different than targetting ONE node to be the opengl renderer and getting all the other nodes to do the computaiton

cheers
JOhn

hello john, i want to know whether the opengl program with can run realtime! i hink the communication with MPI may cost a lot time compared to ONE node. i also want to write opengl under globus(do u hear of?), can u give me some suggestion?

Hello

I’ve heard of globus, but I haven’t used it so I can’t comment on its communications infrastructure. I don’t know what you mean by ‘realtime’, whether you mean what everyone on this board thinks it means, or whether you mean what it really means. However, MPI certainly does have asynronous method calls, so fitting opengl into an interactive framerate feedback model wouldn’t be difficult. Of course, the time it takes for you to get back a result to update the opengl state is soley depenendant on your problem and how much compute resources you have.

Its been four years since I last wrote an MPI program, but the framework should be something like this:

GraphicsStateThing state, oldstate;
bool havenewresults;
for(; [img]http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/wink.gif[/img] {
  if(havenewresults) {
    oldstate=state;
    asyncComputeNewState(&state);
    havenewresults=false;
  } else {
    havenewresults=asyncFInished();
  }
  if(node_id==0) {
     render(oldstate);
  }  
}

or somehting like that. I can’t remember, really. but the idea is: you set up asyncronous messages and continue rendering your old state until y our messages have returned; then you update your new state and keep going.

cheers
John

hello john. i saw your answer on opengl forum about opengl and MPI and i’m a newbie to MPI. i have written an opengl/MPI program. but it can’t show the opengl rendering window when it’s executed by mpirun. i use glut to generate opengl window under windows2k. have you encountered the similar question? can you tell me how to solve it? i will be glad for your reply!

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.